[ 41 ]

Narco was quite the artist and the artwork. He looked perfect from every angel. Lewis grinned when Narco turned and raised an eyebrow at him. The pale man just shook his head and turned to his book.

"Pa!" Rose giggled as she ran towards them and jumped on the mattress.

"Yes?" Lewis smiled, giving her his unwavering attention.

"Can we go to an— the big park? The one that has big rides! I think it's called amuscent park!" She blinked her round eyes, bright with wonder.

"Pa's tired, hun," His smile fell. He was really tired... but he could bear a few hours of nauseating fun, couldn't he?

"But, Pa—"

"Don't bother daddy right now, Rosie," Narco chimed in, winking at Lewis and scooping the little girl in his arms. She pouted, planting her hands into his hair and messing it up.

Lewis coughed, blushing and avoiding eye contact. "I'll go," He said, voice quiet, fiddling with his thumbs and shutting his book, pen rolling away. Narco gave a worried 'are you sure' glance to Lewis. He smiled and nodded, throwing the blankets off him and jumping out of their bed.

"Go change, Flower. We'll come in a minute." Narco said as he led Rose out of their room. When the footsteps disappeared, he looked at Lewis with pure worry. "You shouldn't—"

"I'll manage." Lewis reassured with a smile. He went to the closet and picked out the baggiest clothes he owned. He didn't want to show his skinny frame to anyone, and fucking hell the clothes were comfortable.

"You might get sick, Lew,"

"Might as well spend quality time with you all before it's too late."

Those words shredded Narco's heart. He didn't want that reality.

Narco softly inched forward and placed a soft kiss onto Lewis' forehead. The artist pulled the frail man into his arms and buried his face in Lewis' hair. He felt the tears prickle his eyes; he tried with every nerve of his body not to cry.

When Lewis placed a soft hand on his back, he lost it. His body shook violently as he let the sobs be heard.

"It's okay," Lewis gently cooed, like he always did, and pulled Narco deeper into the hug.

Narco's eyes were red and puffy by the time the tears dried. It left a trail like water on a dusty windshield. Crying felt good when there were warm and trusty arms to protect him, to cradle him even though he spiralled out of existence, to love him like nobody else could, to support him even through rough roads. He had so much to say yet no amount of words could surmise how he felt. He settled for three words, hoping that Lewis could read between the words and emotions and understand what he could not.

"I love you,"

"I know."

── *. • °. ☆ ° : • . * ☾ . •*. ° ☆ •.° : • *. ──

"I can't—" Lewis cried, panting for breath. He felt sick after the two rides he had been to (forced would be the proper word but nevermind). Narco and Rose were having a blast, laughing and simmering with joy, but Lewis felt miserable. As if being miserable wasn't enough, he felt guilty about it, too.

"Come here," Rose grabbed the two adults and dragged them to a small store. She stared at the humongous plushies, drawn to them as if spelled.

"Don't get lost, Flower. We'll be at the clothing aisle." Lewis reminded before he was dragged to a corner by Narco.

Narco sorted through various colors of hair bands, deep in thought.

"I'm getting tired," Lewis complained as he looked at Narco's side profile. He thought this would be fun, but it drained every lick of energy from his body.

"We'll get food soon, babe," Narco sweetly said, grabbing black, furry cat ears and putting it on Lewis' head. He immediately grinned, stuck between laughing at the ridiculousness and kissing Lewis. "Cute," Narco whispered as he tucked strands of hair and tried to style it — and by style, Lewis meant just an excuse to touch his hair and giggle.

Lewis blushed bright red, coughing, and fiddled with the ears. He wanted to throw it across the room but Narco was grinning after such a long time, he hadn't the heart to do so.

"Pa, can I get this bear?" Rose ran to her father, clutching the warm brown bear in her hands. Her eyes sparkled like the sea on a bright day, and Lewis knew that she knew she didn't need to ask.

"Anything you want, Flower," He said with a worn sigh, took the cat ears off, and grabbed Rose's hand to bring her to the cashier.

── *. • °. ☆ ° : • . * ☾ . •*. ° ☆ •.° : • *. ──

Rose grinned as she ate the hot fried chicken by herself. Lewis was twirling strands of shredded napkins while he waited for Narco to bring their food. The place was packed and people were moving in and out every second, parents herding their pack of noisy kids. Lewis hated that people maintained eye contact with him and stared at him.

"Here you go, m'lady," Narco placed the food in front of Lewis, making him blush.

"T-Thanks," Lewis muttered before he started to dig in. His stomach felt like a black hole, sucking everything, but still not satisfied. He hadn't felt this way since years, and he suspected the food had something in it. He couldn't exactly complain, it was nostalgia on a plate.

Rose was first to finish so she waited patiently for the two adults, excitedly chattering to them. Her sweet tooth sprang to existence at the cotton candy stall, and Narco had somehow convinced the duo for a quick photo session. Lewis groaned but complied, managing to glare at Narco only to receive the sweetest of smiles.

"Say cheese!" She screamed, smiling and jumping up.

The last picture was about to be taken and they'd be done. Hopefully, Lewis added with another internal groan. Narco smirked as he turned Lewis towards him and kissed the soft lips. Rose was visibly surprised and so was Lewis.

The shock wore off and he was left a blushing mess, only managing to ask: "What was that for?" Lewis couldn't help but smile as they went to gather their photos.

"Felt like it," Narco shrugged, grabbing Lewis' hands. He hadn't realized they were cold until warmth surrounded them.

"I'm tired!" Rose intervened with a whine, and the two chuckled fondly.

Right now, the three were laid on Lewis' bed with the teddy bear, while Narco told them an ancient Greek mythology. Lewis looked warm and was smiling as he tried to catch sleep. Rose was already knocked out between them. They had agreed that Zeus was a terrible person and deserved to get the shit beat out of him.

"Love you," Narco whispered as he ruffled Lewis' hair. Lewis smiled as he closed his eyes and bathed in the warm feeling of love. He felt peaceful and warm even though his body was withering away with time.