diecinueve

It's still the day before the quince... whoops

"Señora Spooky, qué pasa?"  One of the cholos, Victor, called out.  His voice caught the attention of the rest of the cholos who all turned to look at Tatiana and Oscar walking over after getting out of the car; Oscar opening her door because he's soft like that with her.

"I met my dad."  She said simply, not even realizing what she said because she was still in shock.  She continued walking pass them while the ones who've been around long enough just watched her in surprise.  They all knew about how her father walked out on her when she was a baby, too young to even remember what he looked like.

They waited until she walked inside and shut the door before turning to Spooky.  "Greenlight?"

"Nah, he's good.  Her mom's been lying to him to get him to send child support money."  Oscar told them, watching as several of them shook their heads.  "I'll be back." 

Oscar went up the steps and into the house, leaving the beer in the kitchen and all his friends outside. 

"$100 says they get back together by the end of the month."

"Bet."

× × ×

The next morning it was finally time for the quince.  Tatiana and Miguel, her dad, had agreed to meet up at 8 in the morning so she would have time to get ready for the ceremony that started at 2 pm.

She woke up, got ready, threw on some leggings, a crop top and a jean jacket, and walked out with Oscar to the car. 

"See you later, Mrs. Spooky."  A few of the cholos outside called after her.  After Cesar killed Latrelle, the guys were staying around for a few days just to make sure none of the Prophets were going to retaliate.

"When did they start calling me that again?"

Oscar chuckled as he changed gear shifts and Tatiana just looked at his side profile because nothing was funny. 

Damn, he's fine.

"They never stopped calling you that.  They and everyone else in Freeridge know that you'll be the one I marry."  His response wasn't what she was expecting, so she just stared at the side of his face with her jaw dropped.

Maybe I should stop being a pussy and make the first move? 

"Qué estás mirando?  I got something on my face?"  Oscar asked, rubbing his cheek with a smirk because he knew exactly why Tatiana was staring and what it was directed at. 

"No, you're good."

"I know, I'm fine as hell, huh?"  He gloated, looking at himself in the rearview mirror and raising his brows before turning to Tatiana who watched him with a smile and shook her head.  "Aye, don't lie."

Tatiana mumbled out, "Cállate." and looked down at her hands with a smile on her face. 

"You want me to stay around in case something happens?"

She shook her head.  "I think he proved himself to be my father yesterday with all the pictures.  I'll be fine, and if I get suspicious, I'll call you."

By now, the car was parked in front of the iHOP Miguel wanted to meet at, but Oscar was a little worried since this is the first time she's gone somewhere without him or any of her friends.  "You go the brass knuckles I gave you?"