Chapter 2

By mid afternoon the only two initiates left are Will and Tris. I deliberately had left Tris for last, although she didn't show signs in her first simulation, her time was a flag that she may be Divergent. Today, her going last also gives me more time with her alone.

After Will's simulation is complete I wait a few minutes before calling her back. Compose yourself Four. "Come on Tris."  I hold the door for her, pressing  my hand to her back as I lead her in. I feel her studying me from the corner of her eye.

I guide her to her seat, helping her settle in. As I'm fumbling with the serum injector I notice she is staring at me, rather than at what I'm doing. I allow myself to meet her eyes, trying to look past my embarrassment. Her face is kind, I'm relieved to find there is no indication that she doesn't want to be near me.

"So are you going to Uriah's brothers party tonight? You're friends with him right?" She ask as I am still preparing the injection.

I look up at her and nod. "Though, I probably drank enough last night as it is." I smirk at her, trying to lighten the mood.

She laughs and nods agreeing. I take a deep breath to build the courage I need. "Look Tris, I'll be honest, I don't remember too much from last night. But I do know we talked." She blushes at me. "I just want to apologize if I said or did anything to offend you or make you uncomfortable."

She giggles even more. "No Four, you weren't offensive at all. Actually, you were very complimentary." I raise my eyebrows at her, encouraging her to go on. She blushes a bit before continuing. "You told me I look good. Apparently alcohol makes you very kind."

I hang my head a bit in shame before meeting her gaze and smiling at her again. I brush her hair away from her neck, this time allowing my fingers to graze her skin. I swear I feel her shiver. I hold her gaze as I press the needle into her skin. "Apparently, it keeps me very honest as well Tris." I smirk at her. A bold statement and defiantly unprofessional, but I am desperate to know how she feels. She gives me a surprised look, her cheeks tinted pink before her eyes flutter shut.

I connect the wires to myself in order to observe her simulation.

She is in the Pit, surrounded by glass and remaining calm. She shifts her eyes towards a group of people that come into focus, her initiation class. Banging on the glass asking to be let out, they are returning her pleas for help with laughter. Suddenly a tap on the glass shifts her attention, it's me, smiling at her and pointing down. The glass she is behind is a tank, and it's quickly filling with water.

She begins to panic, banging on the glass and kicking it, while we all watch and smile. Her pleas become more frantic as the water rises to shoulder level, it will be over soon. Then, she just gives up, she is no longer fighting. She allows herself to float to the top, taking in what air she can while its left. With her last breath she stares out of the tank, touching the glass, it cracks. One more touch and it breaks.

I surface from the simulation with a heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I detach from the wires and get up. She's still recovering from the sensation of almost drowning, shaking her hands and taking deep breaths. I watch her for a moment, not sure how to say what I need to say.

"What?" She ask, somewhat out of breath still.

"How did you do that?" I try to keep my tone curious versus panicked.

"Do what?" Her eyes shift around the room.

"Crack the glass."

"I don't know." Her voice is nervous. I can't tell if it is because she knows she is divergent or because I'm questioning her.

I nod, and offer her my hand. She gets up without any trouble, but she avoids my eyes. I check the corners of the room for cameras. There is one, just where I thought it would be, right across from us. I take her elbow and lead her out of the room, to a place where I know we won't be observed, in the blind spot between two surveillance points.

I guide her so her back is against the wall, my hands pressed against the wall on each side of her. We stand so close that we breathe the same air, wishing I could forget why I brought her here.

"What?" She says irritably.

"You're Divergent." There is really no other way to put it. I want to tell her how much danger she is in, and how afraid I am for her. My actions from last night though, fear that I went too far, lead me to be not so kind.

She sinks against the wall, adopting an almost-convincing aura of casualness. "What's Divergent?"

Now, I am furious. Perhaps that she lied to me, or is it that she doesn't trust me. Or the fact that she knows damn well she is Divergent and was careless enough to show it.

"Don't play stupid. I suspected it last time, but this time it's obvious. You manipulated the simulation; you're Divergent. I'll delete the footage, but unless you want to wind up dead at the bottom of the chasm, you'll figure out how to hide it during the simulations!"

I want to comfort her, to tell her she is not alone but instead I drop my arms and back away. "Now you'll have to excuse me."

I walk back to the simulation room, pulling the door closed behind me. It's easy to delete the footage-just a few keystrokes and it's done, the record clean. I double-check her file, making sure the only thing that's in there is the data from the first simulation.

I'll have to come up with a way to explain where the data from this session went. A good lie, one that Eric and Max will actually believe.

In a hurry, I take out my pocketknife and wedge it between the panels covering the motherboard of the computer, prying them apart. Then I go into the hallway, to the drinking fountain, and fill my mouth with water.

When I return to the simulation room, I spit some of the water into the gap between the panels. I put my knife away and wait.

A minute or so later, the screen goes dark. Dauntless headquarters is basically a leaking cave-water damage happens all the time.

Hopefully they believe it.