Chapter 11

Disclaimer: This chapter is themed around suicide, death, loss, sexual assault, sexual conduct, and violence.

I am ripped from my sleep by an urgent banging on my apartment door. Fear strikes me to my core, my only thought is Divergent.

My fears are put to rest by a familiar voice, Zeke. "Four, it's me, hurry up!" His voice sounds shaken and desperate. I run to the door, tugging a shirt over my head as I open it.

Zeke is out of breath, he must of ran here from wherever he came. "Something terrible has happened, initiate, the Chasm." His words coming in as broken phrases. My heart sinks and I feel the blood leave my face. Tris.

"Not her." He says shaking his head. "Come on, you need to get down there, quick."

As soon as we approach the Chasm, Dauntless members heaving a rope strung over the edge comes into view. As they struggle to pull whatever-whoever back over the edge, I hold my breath. The last few tugs bring the mangled body back up and over the rocks. Al.

I close my eyes, imagining his final moments drowning in guilt and failure. I would have never of forgiven him for what he did to Tris, but she would have, in time. The thought of Tris causes me to scan the crowed that has now started to gathered, for once, hoping I don't see her.

My gaze stops on a pile of blond hair, crouched on the ground. Her knees are pulled tightly to her chest as she sits and rocks herself. I fight the urge to go to her, taking notice that Christina is kneeled by her side.

The medical examiner finally arrives, toting a body bag that is noticeably too small for Al's large stature. As he and several members attempt to manipulate the bag to fit a disturbing sounding laugh combined with a sob echoes through the Chasm. My eyes fix on Tris who is trying to contain her deranged laughter, while Cristina looks panicked trying to quite her down as other members look at her in disgust.

My heart aches for her, within a few strides I am at her side kneeling by her. "Tris, are you alright?" I whisper. Her face is covered by her hands, her body now shaking trying to control whatever emotion is pouring out of her.

I grab her hands and peel them away from her face to look at her. She is in utter despair, it's enough for me to throw out good reason. I look at Christina who is studying me questionably. I shake my head and scoop Tris off the ground into my arms.

To any onlookers I am just an instructor, removing an emotional distraught initiate from a tragic environment. I walk towards Zeke, Tris clinging to me for dear life. "Tris, I'm going to hand you to Zeke, he will take you to my apartment, I'll be there as soon as I can." I whisper to her, retrieving the slightest nod from her.

I nod at Zeke to follow me away from the crowed for a moment, explaining to him what I just told Tris. I glance down at her one more time, hating to let her go before handing her over to him. I slip him my key, and turn to face Al's body.

Max shows up, obviously furious at the incident. "What the hell happened here Four?"

I shrug. "He jumped, happens every year. He was struggling, he barely survived Phase II. He would have been Factionless by the end of the week and he knew it." I purposely leave the guilt of Tris' attack out of his reasoning.

Max rubs his temples. "We're trying to gain initiates, not kill them off. This is the third initiate we have lost due to injury or incident this initiation. No more. If we lose another, I am holding you fully responsible." I clinch my fist, trying to channel my rage. "I expect an incident report on my desk before training starts in the morning."

We finally manage to move Al's body to the infirmary, effectively clearing the crowd from the Chasm. It has already been an incredibly long night, and knowing an incident report is due in just a few hours, it is only going to get longer.