Chapter 39

The morning is silent. Tris and I move around the apartment avoiding each other's eyes. I want to break the silence, but only anger will pour from my mouth.

"C'mon." I bark at her holding the door open.

She looks sad but walks slowly out. "Where are we going." She ask me quietly. I just keep walking not giving her a verbal acknowledgment. "Tobias." She hisses at me grabbing my arm to stop me. She sighs and begins to fidget before tentatively wrapping her arms around my torso. I inhale sharply before moving to wrap my arm around her, pulling her to my chest.

"We could leave you know, you and I? We could go anywhere you like, live in peace." She looks up curiously at my words. I already know her answer, but I had to let her know all of her options.

"We can't turn our back on the city Tobias." I press my lips lightly to her forehead before pulling away. I press my hand to her lower back, guiding her along the corridor until we reach Zeke's apartment, knocking without hesitation.

"Let's see if your recklessness paid off." My tone sarcastic and harsh. Zeke pulls the door open and for the first time in two days he is smiling. I raise my eyebrows at him and he opens the door wider. Uriah, awake and sitting up eating. His burns are still visible but only a light pink now, his maneuvers proves his ribs have healed significantly.

"Looks like it was." She jolts her elbow into my ribs walking past, quickly wrapping her arms around Uriah's neck. My body tenses at her touching someone else, especially Uriah, but this is a rare occasion that calls for celebration.

"It worked. She saved his life. If Shauna wouldn't kill me I would kiss her right now." Zeke banters at me. I flex my jaw at him giving him a deadly look. He laughs hysterically, slapping my back. I grin, happy that Uriah is alive, that Tris is alive. My face falls, remembering the reason I came here.

I clear my throat. "We need to talk." When they hear my tone, the room becomes still and serious. "I attended the council meeting last night. Jeanine Matthews convinced the Factions to implement a tracking program, inserting transmitters into every Faction member. Starting with Dauntless, before Friday."

"Oh shit." Zeke says grimly.

"How did she even manage to justify something like that? Shauna ask.

"Crime and incidents around the city. Dauntless being the majority of the accused."

"So what do we do?" Uriah muster out.

"We leave before the injection, go into hiding." I say firmly.

"Why would we hide? How can we help by being cowards." Lauren interrupts.

"It's not about being a coward. You saw what happened yesterday, those initiates, they had no control over their own bodies. We need to have people awake, to intervene in Abnegation if necessary."

"There are seven of us Four, how the hell are we to intervene?" Lauren ask.

"There is an apartment, I had started gathering supplies there when I first became suspicious of Max and Eric. The apartment overlooks Abnegation. We set up a watch, if an attack is imminent, we can at least warn them, help them evacuate."

"What about Candor? Why don't we just go to them?" Tris ask.

"We could, but we don't have enough time for them to investigate and intervene unfortunately."

"When would we go?" Lauren ask.

"As soon as possible. We can't risk getting caught here when Erudite shows back up."

"Can you try to push Max? See when they're coming. We should go right before so we're not missed." Zeke says. He is right, leaving too soon could end us up Factionless.