Chp.32

Chapter 32: An Awkward Silence

Zhang Heng leaned against the edge of the hot springs. He casually took a small glass from the tray floating in the water and gulped down the rice wine. Rice wines were usually mellow, but that was only in the mouth. When swallowed, it was harsh on the stomach.

At first, he had happily anticipated going on this business trip to Japan with Gu Zhun. Zhang Heng did not lie to Gu Zhun when he said that it was a business trip, the purpose of this trip was just to attend a business dinner this weekend. When they were free within this period, they would visit Tokyo companies in the cultural industry, observe, and learn from them. That's right, it was a business trip, but it was an insignificant business trip.

Yet the next moment, Gu Zhun was unhappy with his hot springs invitation. Zhang Heng thought, I promised not to make moves on you, but if this goes on, how can there be any progress?

Seven years ago, he left without saying a word. As soon as their third-year graduation ceremony ended, he had boarded the plane to America before he could even change out of his school uniform. At that time, on the plane, Zhang Heng was already mature and perceptive in the third year. He had discovered that he liked his skinny and taciturn classmate Gu Zhun from long ago.

When he just transferred in during the second year of high school, Zhang Heng met Gu Zhun at the pavilion. He had a fair complexion and was focused on doing his homework. Initially, Zhang Heng looked down on those hardworking and serious elite students. He despised them. They were opinionated and book smart. In fact, that wasn't the case. During the two years spent with Gu Zhun, he realized that Gu Zhun was different from the rest.

Gu Zhun did not speak much to the other male classmates, not to mention the females. He did not utter a single word. At first, seated behind Gu Zhun, Zhang Heng saw Gu Zhun's fair and delicate neck, the fine black hair at the neckline, the reddish earlobe heated up by the hot summer... From the back, Gu Zhun really looked like a girl.

Then, there was the incident where Zhang Heng groped Gu Zhun's handle.

That experience made Zhang Heng's heart race. It felt like his heart skipped a beat. Moreover, since then, he was unable to move his line of sight away from Gu Zhun.

Gradually, in order to find out the reason, Zhang Heng intentionally paired up with Gu Zhun for activities. Because Gu Zhun had the big and tall Zhang Heng standing next to him, slowly all of the bad rumors about Gu Zhun quietly dispersed. Although every time Gu Zhun went to the library to study by himself in the study room, Zhang Heng would always take a random book and set it upright, occasionally glancing at him. Gu Zhun often felt unsettled.

After spending so much time with Gu Zhun, Zhang Heng had a rough understanding of his own feelings. It was easy to understand that something was called love. Every weekend, when the boarding students went home, Zhang Heng would be in agony at home. He was so troubled that his food felt tasteless. That was because he was unable to see his Gu Zhun for two days.

Every time a grade or school assembly was held, because there was no habit of orderly lines, most of the time they would be surrounded by different people. Sometimes when Gu Zhun and Zhang Heng were separated by two rows, Zhang Heng would be unable to concentrate on the contents of the meeting. Often, the class teacher would have to privately ask him to hand in the assembly notes.

In a nutshell, he did not know why he liked Gu Zhun so much.

Although Gu Zhun was solely focused on his studies, he was not someone who did not understand human emotions, even if his EQ was a bit low.

During that parent-teacher meeting, he pleaded with his sister Gu Li to brave the awkward stares to attend the meeting for the both of them. He was a good friend indeed, although it was quite arduous for his sister Gu Li...