Chp. 84

Chapter 84: Are You Nervous?

Standing by Zhang Heng's side, Gu Zhun felt a tinge of anxiety coming from the other man. He nudged Zhang Heng gently to bring him back to his senses. "Is something wrong?" he asked worriedly. Zhang Heng shook his head in response before starting up the car methodically. In no time, they were back on the highway heading towards home.

Indeed... Grandfather would be our greatest obstacle – Zhang Heng thought. His parents seldom interfered with his matters, but his grandfather was different. He was an old man who weathered through various vicissitudes of life to obtain the status and clout he now enjoyed. To uphold the family prestige, he was convinced that it was necessary to groom his grandson into an outstanding individual who was at least as distinguished as himself. In accordance with his expectations, Zhang Heng was indeed outstanding in both external aspects (such as his appearance and manners) and internal qualities (such as his character and gift for business management). It was rare to find such excellence amongst third-generation descendants of wealthy and influential families . Apart from his poor performance in junior high, Zhang Heng was unequalled amongst his peers.

What an embarrassment it would be to his grandfather for Zhang Heng to bring a boyfriend home and declare him to be his sole partner for life...

Even if they found an heir through adoption, it would be hard to convince his grandfather of their adopted child's "worthiness". Given his grandfather's blindly arrogant belief that his outstanding progeny (such as Zhang Heng) proved the superiority of his blood, it was inevitable for him to be equally convinced that anyone not of his blood would be doomed to fail in life.

Zhang Heng snorted abruptly as his hands tightened on the steering wheel. He could already foresee how his grandfather would react after finding out about his relationship with Gu Zhun.

Unsettled by the sound, Gu Zhun turned his head uneasily to look at Zhang Heng, but Zhang Heng's face gave nothing away. He wore a smile on his lips and an air of nonchalance as he continued driving. Rock music blared from the speaker in the car. Gu Zhun refrained from checking on Zhang Heng again, but his heart felt heavy with unease and anxiety.

Despite the confidence with which Zhang Heng had just promised Gu Zhun's mother that "he would take responsibility and protect Gu Zhun from the world around them", it was only natural for anyone under such pressure to feel at least a little nervous at the start. It was especially worrisome that they would be facing his formidable grandfather, whose mind was still as sharp as ever despite his age. In Gu Zhun's eyes, Zhang Heng was too much of a fool to be his grandfather's intellectual equal.

In spite of his worries, Gu Zhun soon fell asleep; the resolution of his childhood trauma had left him emotionally drained and thoroughly exhausted. Zhang Heng left Gu Zhun to his much-needed rest and focused his attention on the road ahead. After a long drive of more than ten hours, they were finally back to the city in which they lived.

Not intending to return to the Zhang residence for the night, Zhang Heng pulled up below Gu Zhun's apartment. He had yet to come up with a reasonable explanation for the past few weeks and was not ready to face his grandfather just yet. Not wanting to rouse Gu Zhun from his sleep, Zhang Heng carried him gently in his arms back to the apartment he shared with his sister.

The door was answered by a sleepy-eyed Gu Li. She stood in the doorway rubbing her eyes, her hair in a mess and her mind clouded with sleep.

"Sis, it's very dangerous to open the door so carelessly..."

Gu Li waved aside his comment nonchalantly as she returned to her bed, muttering in reply, "No criminal ever comes knocking with another sleeping criminal in his arms... So sleepy... You look after my baby brother. Make yourself at home..." Before Zhang Heng could thank her, she disappeared back into her room.