Chp. 98

"What happened to Zhang Heng?"

It had been days since Zhang Heng and Gu Zhun last had lunch together. Additionally, every time Gu Zhun tried to find out where he had been or what he had done, he was answered with nothing more than a dismissive wave and an indifferent look from Zhang Heng. He was nothing like his usual eager self; his cold detachment made him seem like a complete stranger.

What's wrong? What happened to you?

Despite trying to immerse himself in work, Gu Zhun could not help but steal surreptitious looks at Zhang Heng, whose face remained just as impassive as it was when he returned from lunch break. Gu Zhun had never been as anxious and fearful as he was now... Had Zhang Heng stopped loving him? Why was the change so sudden? Surely there was an explanation for this? What could possibly be the cause...?

Filled with dread and unease, Gu Zhun brought his chain of thought to an abrupt stop. He did not dare to continue with his speculations; any further doubt seemed like an insult to the love Zhang Heng had shown him for the past seven years. But was it right for him to leave things as they were? Wasn't there anything that he could do?

In the past, Zhang Heng was always sensitive to his moods and took the initiative every time to provide him with emotional support. What should he do now that Zhang Heng might be leaving him? How should he react?

I don't know.

The situation continued for nearly a week. On most days, Zhang Heng would busy himself with work and only returned late at night to crash directly in bed from exhaustion. Like a forlorn wife, Gu Zhun would stay up in their empty room on every one of those lonely nights to wait for him. But not once was he able to voice his doubts and fears to Zhang Heng.

What if Zhang Heng no longer cared about him? What if Zhang Heng had gotten tired of him, and he had become nothing but a bore to Zhang Heng? Yet, if he had indeed become a burden, wouldn't his questions irritate Zhang Heng further? How would Zhang Heng react then? Would he become even more loathsome to Zhang Heng?

He really needed to stay calm and think this through carefully... But his forcibly suppressed fears began to take a visible toll on him.

When Ma ShangQian ran into Gu Zhun along the corridor one day, he was immediately struck by the unhappiness in Gu Zhun's face. In stark contrast to the joyful contentment exuded by the newly-wed Ma ShangQian, Gu Zhun seemed gaunt with misery, the corners of his eyes drooping lifelessly.

"Is everything alright?" he asked. "You have been looking really down these couple of days... What happened?"

"N... nothing... I mean, everything's fine..." Gu Zhun replied with a forced smile.

Despite his best efforts, Gu Zhun failed to fool Ma ShangQian. Firstly, his smiles were so rare that any of his attempts at smiling was enough cause for concern. Secondly, Ma ShangQian had thoroughly familiarized himself with Gu Zhun's mannerisms during his 'infatuation' with him: he had observed Gu Zhun closely enough to become attuned to the latter's feelings.

"Stop lying," Ma ShangQian said sternly. When it became clear that Gu Zhun had no intention to come clean, Ma ShangQian grabbed the documents in Gu Zhun's arms and shoved them at a passing colleague. "Wang! Do me a favor and pass these to your department head on Gu Zhun's behalf!" he instructed hurriedly before dragging Gu Zhun away to the restaurant opposite their company.

Gu Zhun simply drifted along with his head down, lost in his own tangled thoughts.

"Don't hold back. I'm here to listen. Tell me everything on your mind and let me offer you some guidance for once," Ma ShangQian assured him after settling him down in a seat. When Gu Zhun looked up in response, Ma ShangQian was met with the unexpected sight of redness and quivering tears in his eyes.