iv ) Lylian

IV : Family Issues

IV : Family Issues

"Ouch! Stop it!" Lylian Mayfair doesn't even have to take a glance at the voice from the corner of the garden she's walking to. The tone is familiar, very familiar one to her.

"Corin, come to me." She said smoothly.

The little boy who's sitting on the marble arch quickly stood up and ran to her with a sign of relief and thankfulness in his dark eyes.

Corin Mayfair founded his place behind his half sister's long fabric gown, he clinged himself onto her side, waiting for the outburst Lylian's going to get.

"Corin is not sitting properly, I need to teach him." The beautiful girl who was sitting beside the place he sat said with a furious in her voice.

"You could've chosen the milder punishment than prick and hit him, Lucynda." She replied, quite colder than the way she spoke to Corin.

"I'm his sister." Lucynda protested, her blue eyes turned harsh.

"I have the rights to do so."

"So do I." Lylian gave her a low, cold smile.

Her younger half sister's lips twisted as her eyes glow like an angry animal.

She can feel her little half brother's trembling fingers grasping onto her skirt like it was the only thing keeping him from his own sister.

Lucynda is beautiful, she is bright and cheerful, yes. But everyone have their own dark side. A cute and obeyful girl every servents in the castle love can easily turned into a little devil.

She often gets angry whenever Lylian displease her, for example, when Lucynda wants to go to the market with her friends in the evening without telling her parents, Lylian told the guards everything about her sister's plan and told them to just never let her passed by the door.

Everytime the girl thinks she can outsmart her elder sister, Lylian outsmarted her back. There's no way she can beat her sister in almost everything.

Further more, her own mother, the Lady Serynna Mayfair, is quite too anxious about that tall elegant sister. Serynna is always 'oh, how's Lylian doing' and 'Lucynda! You should behave and followed what your sister did'.

That's getting on Lucynda's nerves.

"Corin!" When she realized that she can't told her sister to back off, the young girl called the little boy.

"Come to me."

Little Corin just shook his head and seemed to sank himself into Lylian's gown even more.

The oldest one in three siblings sighed and stroke the little boy's brown hair that had been cut short.

"Corin!!! I say, come to me." His elder sister almost yelled, her voice furiously spoken from between her teeth and her jaws clutched together firmly.

The little boy look up to the one he's been clinging onto in an asking manner, terrifying and knowing what will Lucynda do to him if he walked back to her.

Lylian take a swift, cold glance at her half sister and bent herself down to his level.

"Do you want to eat some cherry tarts?" She asked.

Corin quickly nodded, causing her to let out a small chuckle.

"Then let's go to my room."

Lylian stood up among Lucynda's shocking eyesight and take her brother's small hand, walking away from the garden.

"Lylian! Corin! Don't you dare turn your back on me, I'm still talking to you!!" Her half sister's screech echoed through the hallway.

Her feet stopped as she turned her head back to Lucynda's direction, putting her index finger onto her lips and make a hush sound.

"Shhhh, be careful sister, if any of the servants saw this, it'll become a talk of the town within a few days. Father will be pissed."

"Lylian!!!"

"Oh yeah, that's my name. Glad you remembered it."

"I don't like her." Corin huffed, taking a big bite on his cherry tart, his favorite snack.

"Well, she's your sister. Sooner or later, I must marry to one of the man our father choose. You will be on your own with Lucynda. You must get used to it." Lylian smiled as she took the wax that cures the bruises from the wooden shelve in the corner of her large room.

"Now, pull your sleeves up, would you?"

Under the fabric sleeve of the twelve years old boy, his pale skin are marked with purple bruises from Lucynda's long and dangerous fingernails and several red marks from her palm that hits his arm.

"Can't I have just one sister?" He asked.

"You know that can't be." She answered, chuckling as her fingers smeared the wax over her brother's marks and bruises.

"Can't you marry?"

"No, Corin. It is my duty to do so." She look into his eyes as her hands closed the wax box and stood up onto her feet.

"I remembered that you have a study with Maester Gerold."

"He is sick today, he leave me a homework to read a book called 'Herbs Throughout the History'. It's in the library, can you come with me?" He asked.

Corin shows his range of knowledge is more than the average children when he turned five. He read the book with the same pages the maesters do when he was ten. It is not a surprise thing that Maester Gerold will leave him a homework to read one of the thickest book in the library.

"Come." Lylian gave him her hand and walked him through the hallway, straight to the library.

Just the moment she and her half brother stepped out of the library, the young servant she remembered the name is Hugh called her.

"Milady! Your Lord father is looking for you."

"Where is he?" She release her hand from Corin's.

"He's waiting on the Seagull Beach, milady."

"Thank you, Hugh." Lylian replied and turned to Corin.

No need to say, the boy know what should he do.

"I will be waiting." He said and go with Hugh, heading back to her room.

"Good boy." She sighed, watching her brother's figure turned at the corner, disappear from her eyesight.

Hope there's nothing bad happened.