v ) Lylian

V : Duties and Decisions

"What is it, father?" Lylian walked to her Lord Father, Alaster Mayfair, the ruler of the Blossom Isles, who's standing on the small deck made of stones that was built on the surface of the Seagull Beach.

"Lylian." He turned and called her as his hand gestured out, motioning her to come close and let him place his hand onto her shoulder.

"How old are you now again?"

"Turning nineteen this moon, father." She answered, turning her gaze to his face.

"You remember Queen Daenerys?" Alaster asked, didn't take a look back at his eldest daughter.

"The last Targaryen in the world. Yes, I do."

"She sent a letter, offering us a marry for a stronger allegiance. Either you or Lucynda must marry one of her men."

Lylian froze.

Never did she not suggests that one day she will marry, but she hopes that the marriage will be because of her and her future husband's will.

This is somehow not the way she thinks.

"...I will go." The word escaped her mouth hardly.

"Are you sure, daughter? Lucynda can go too, if you want to be here and help me with the business in our house..."

"No, father. I've made my decisions." She replied.

"And who will I marry?"

"Let me just send our choices to Queen Daenerys first." Her father said, stroking her hair.

"Thank you for your choice."

Lylian met her father's dark eyes, she pauses to tried to read his emotions, then excuses herself out of the beach.

Even though she and her father was close to each other, she could never read him clearly.

Her leg fling over her black horse's back as she grabbed the hilt and hit the leather strap against the animal's bare skin, motioning it to ran.

This is a mare given to her in her ninth nameday. She named it Heilys.

Lylian arrived at the edge of the Perennial Lake which is always decorated with the refreshing green leaves of the trees around the lake or the sweet and cheerful colors of the blooming flowers and fruits.

In this summer, there are not much flowers to admire. The water is crystal clear with a hint of light blue and when it went to the deep parts of this huge lake, the color turned into bright blue.

The lady dismounted her black mare and tie her to the nearby oak tree while turning her gaze around the area to look for someone.

Finally, she spotted a familiar figure on a boat not so far from where she is standing.

Lylian dimmed her eyelids down a bit to avoid her blue eyes from getting burn by the sunlight as she walked down the grassy slope.

"Tristan!!" She called.

The figure snapped his or her head towards her, smiling from ear to ear that she could see his white teeth shining against the light.

"Lily!! What's up?"

She stood on the edge of the glistening clear water with a smile as that person moved the wooden paddle, drawing the small boat back to the land.

Tristan Greengrass is the biggest son of Lord Elmir Greengrass, one of her father's bannerman whose seat is in the Alder Island, not so far from the central isle which she lives. He had been sent here to be Lord Alaster's squire since he was ten. Now, he's nineteen, the same age as Lylian.

One might say he's got the most brightest and most genuine smile throughout the Isles. Almost every girls in the Blossom Isles fell in love with his cheerful and caring personalities. Everyone, even her sister, Lucynda.

"Want to get on for some tour around the lake?" He cocked his eyebrows.

"If you don't mind." She gave him a sweet but playful smile and carefully pull her skirt up to walk down into the water a bit.

Tristan offered her his tan and strong hand to hold while she stepped into the boat. His hand is rough as a man who's skilled with sword should have.

He moved the paddles again to go to the deeper parts of the lake.

"So, what happened?" The young man spoke up.

"What?"

"If you don't have anything in your mind, why does it shows in that blue eyes of yours?" He gave her a 'duh' look.

She stunned for a few moments.

Tristan is one of the very few ones beside her father who could read her emotions, maybe not so clearly as lord Alaster, but still he could see something's disturbing her.

Lylian sighed.

"I can never cover up from you, Tris."

He winked and smile.

"That's because we're friends."

"Oh, that's a...real problem, Lily. Real, real big problem." Tristan gave her a pitiful face after she teold him about everything she must do.

"So what will you do? You know, I can take you to the Summer Isles...if that's what you want."

"No." She cut him off.

"If I flee, my family must paid for what that's happen."

The young man from the Alder Isles sighed and patted her shoulder a few times.

"Well, Lily. I hope you and your future husband get along well."

Lylian looked back with a thankful look and sighed.

"Yes, me too."

He smiled and starts dragging the paddles again, this time to sent her back on the land.

"Are you going to be at dinner tonight? I mean, you came back so late for too many nights. Father is worry of it, of you." The tall lady asked as she climbed off the boat.

"What is he worry of? That I would be in a trouble? Or he fears that my Lord Father would take me back and ends the commitment and allegiance between them." He raised his eyebrows.

Lylian sighed and tidied her gown.

"Tris, you know my father loves you like his own son."

He stay quiet for a moment, then dragged the paddles again.

"I know."