Chapter 1

Fireheart looked back at the forest as he stood close to stepping stones, the scent of blood on his pelt. He shuddered in fear as he thought of what happened, but before he could even process what happened, Graystripe stepped next to him, carrying his kits, as well as Cloudpaw, who looked really worried and upset. The two friends and the apprentice looked at each other before preparing to jump. However, a call scared them. Mistyfoot, Stonefur, and Leopardfur had just crossing the border. "Mistyfoot, what are you doing?" Fireheart asked.

The blue-gray she-cat tilted her head and said, "We were planning on getting those kits. What happened to you?" Fireheart shook his head. There was no way he was going to tell them about what happened at the moment. "We'll explain it to you once we talk to Crookedstar." Leopardfur looked at the two cats suspiciously and asked, "Why would we help you?"

Graystripe put his kits down and said, "you owe us, remember? When we fed your Clan when you are starving?" Leopardfur hissed but grudgingly obliged with persistence of Mistyfoot and Stonefur. Mistyfoot grabbed the silver kit and Stonefur grabbed the dark gray kit before jumping onto the stepping stones. Fireheart and his accomplices followed suite.

Once on the other side of the river, the cats weaved through the reeds into RiverClan's camp. Leopardfur quickly ran into the leader's den ast the other cats waited. Fireheart felt awkward as a few RiverClan cats stared at him. A few moments passed and Crookedstar came out of his den, followed by his deputy. "Fireheart," called the leader, "come forward." Fireheart came forward on the leader's order. "Explain yourself."

Fireheart swallowed before saying, "Brokentail's rogues attacked ThunderClan's camp while most of our warriors were out on patrols. Me and Cloudpaw spotted them, but it was too late." Fireheart stopped. "Bluestar was already dead." Uneasiness went through the camp.

Crookedstar raised his tail for silence before saying, "So why did you leave?" Fireheart shuffled his paws, "Graystripe feared for his kits' lives due to their half-clan and Graystripe wanted to stay with them. Tigerclaw never trusted me and hates the fact that me and my apprentice were once kittypets." Fireheart looked back at Graystripe. "You can chase me out but please, keep Graystripe and his kits in your Clan, for Silverstream's sake."

Emotion filled Crookedstar's eyes before saying, "Leopardfur, Stonefur, Blackclaw, Mudfur, let's discuss this." The called cats followed their leader into his den. A nose touched Fireheart's side. He turned and saw Graypool standing next to him, followed by Mistyfoot and Mosspelt, a Riverclan queen. "So, Fireheart," the elder said as Mistyfoot and Mosspelt walked over to Cloudpaw, Graystripe, and the helpless kits, "it's good to see you." The ginger warrior nodded in greeting before Crookedstar and his warriors left the warriors den. The leader said, "We have made up our minds. Graystripe and his kits will stay in RiverClan under supervision of Stonefur and Blackclaw. Fireheart and his apprentice will stay in camp for a the night. However, afterwards, you will be shone out of our territory towards the twolegplace. Whatever you decide next is up to you."

Fireheart bowed his head and said, "thank you, Crookedstar." The ginger tom turned to his apprentice. Cloudpaw looked up at his mentor and said, "that's it, huh? We're just giving up?" Fireheart sighed and said, "I'm sorry, Cloudpaw. I guess so. I tried to show you what a warrior, but I probably look like a coward."

Cloudpaw sighed, "I guess I'm just mad Tigerclaw would do such things. So what's the plan for us?" Fireheart looked at his apprentice and wondered that himself. "Well," the ginger warrior said, "we will visit your mother first to say we are alright." Cloudpaw nodded in agreement. "Now get some rest. Tomorrow will be a long day." Cloudpaw yawned and nodded as Stonefur padded up to the cats.

"Mosspelt is suckling the kits and Graystripe is trying to find a nest. Follow me to your nests for the night." The two former ThunderClan cats followed Stonefur. So much like Bluestar, Fireheart couldn't help but think. The ginger tom wanted to tell the blue-gray tom the truth, but Fireheart saw Graypool at corner of his eye. Fireheart sighed as he saw his nest.

When Cloudpaw and Fireheart curled in their nests, Fireheart felt a tang of sadness. This may be his last day of a Clan warrior.