Chapter 9

Fireheart spent a few days at the farm. It felt good to rest for a few days before setting out again. Fireheart knew, however, he had to leave eventually. He looked out at the rising sun. He sighed and knew he needed to leave. Fireheart turned to the two loners behind him and said, "it's time for me to leave. Thank you, both of you."

Barley nodded and replied, "any time. And if you need to stay the night, just drop by." Fireheart nodded in thanks and turned to Ravenpaw. "I will take your advice. All of it

Tallstar needs to know. And I will be wary." He finished his goodbyes with more thanks before leaving.

Fireheart went straight for WindClan territory in hopes to talk to Tallstar. He crept through the heather and long grass before realizing he was being tracked. Fireheart sniffed the air and found that it was Onewhisker and another cat Fireheart can't figure out.

"Alright," Fireheart heard Onewhisker say, "where is the cat now, Gorsepaw?" Fireheart suddenly knew who the second cat was. It was Morningflower's kit Fireheart carried after finding and bringing WindClan back. Fireheart felt like it was necessary to get caught, but to make it challenging to help test Gorsepaw.

Fireheart immediately sprang forward and ran. The ginger tom went one direction, than another. He heard footsteps following close behind him. Fireheart spotted some rocky outcrops in front of him. He ran there, than doubled back to throw them off his track. It seemed to work, because the two cats walked past without scenting him.

"Where did he go?" Fireheart heard Gorsepaw say. A laugh came from Onewhisker before saying, "use your nose. Do you smell any scent to show where he went?" A hard sniff from Gorsepaw before the apprentice said, "this way, I think." The two WindClan cats started to pad towards Fireheart's hiding spot. Gorsepaw immediately sprang at Fireheart once the apprentice saw him.

"Look. Tracked by my apprentice." Onewhisker joked. Fireheart jokingly sneered, "hey. I helped you with training." Onewhisker huffed in amusement. "Come on," Onewhisker said seriously "I will take you to Tallstar." Gorsepaw protested, "why are taking an enemy cat to our camp? He's an intruder!"

"He's a friend of WindClan." Onewhisker said, "he helped your mother carry you back to WindClan territory. And besides, no cat is crazy enough to enter our territory alone without wanting to talk to Tallstar." The brown tabby warrior signaled his tail to follow.

The three cats made it to camp before sunhigh. Fireheart saw all of WindClan sharing tongues. Kits were playing and apprentices practicing fighting moves. Warriors shared prey and elders were sunning themselves. Fireheart felt heartbroken. He missed sharing tongues with his former Clanmates.

While Fireheart was observing, he did not notice Tallstar emerging from his den. Onewhisker walked to his leader out of earshot. Tallstar nodded to Onewhisker said and strolled towards Fireheart, followed by Deadfoot, Tallstar's deputy, and Mudclaw. "Tallstar." Fireheart said respectfully. Tallstar nodded. "Onewhisker told me you need to tell me something."

"That is true." Fireheart said. Tallstar looked at his two warriors next to him and said, "leave us." As the two toms turned, Fireheart said, "no need. It might be important for some senior warriors to hear." Deadfoot nodded and signaled his tail for Mudclaw to get other warriors. Mudclaw did so, and within a few heartbeats, a few other warriors came by.

"What is so important," Mudclaw scorned, "that I'm not hunting." Onewhisker silenced the tabby with a look. Now every warrior in the huddle looked at Fireheart. The ginger tom felt a sudden nervousness. "A StarClan cat came to me when I went to the Moonstone. He told me I needed to help ShadowClan. He said 'cats you may think as enemies will be your greatest ally. Trust them. They will make ShadowClan strong.'"

"So, why are you telling us that?" a warrior asked. "Because," Fireheart said, "I believe the enemies StarClan were talking about are Brokentail's followers." A few WindClan warriors gasped or raised there haunches. Mudclaw unsheathed his claws. Tallstar tried to stay calm, but Fireheart knew the leader was upset. Bringing back cats who chase his entire clan will be hated.

Before Fireheart could assure the WindClan cats, Mudclaw hissed, "we should have never trusted him. Let's chase him out of our territory." The brown tabby launched himself at Fireheart, and Fireheart felt he could not convince WindClan he is trying to do the right thing.