Chapter 14

Snag led the way towards ShadowClan. As they made their way, the scent of ShadowClan cats was recognized. "Ok,"Fireheart said, "I will go forward first. They might feel less threatened by an ally." Snag tilted his head. "Doesn't ShadowClan hate you for keeping Brokentail?" Fireheart heart sank. He did not think about that.

"I have a plan." Fireheart lied. He knew he had to. Fireheart turned and pushed through the bushes. As he stuck his head out, a small patrol was already a foxlength ahead. "Russetfur, is it?" Fireheart called to one of the she-cats. The reddish cat turned her head, surprised to see Fireheart there. Next l to her was a cream and brown she-cat and a gray apprentice.

"You're Fireheart." Russetfur said, "the ThunderClan cat." Fireheart nodded. So far, it went well. The brown and cream she-cat lowered her ears and hissed, "you kept a traitor of all the clans in your camp." Fireheart started to apologize, "It wasn't my idea. We-I knew it felt wrong to keep the cat I helped chase out in our camp."

"You should have thrown him out of camp to let him die." the cream and brown she-cat raised her haunches when Stubbytail stepped forward. "Rowanberry." The cream and brown she-cat looked surprised. "Why are you here?" Rowanberry hissed, "Is this an attack?"

"We didn't come here to harm you. We only came to help." Fireheart said. Russetfur looked confused, then aggressive. "Help us?" the ginger she-cat hissed, "With what?" Fireheart thought to himself. How much should he say he knows? "Maybe," Fireheart started, "if we help you with something, you could help us in return."

"How so?" Rowenbarry asked. Fireheart knew now what he had to say. "We can hunt for you and your Clan." The brown and cream she-cat tilted her head, "and what will we give you in return?" Fireheart looked at Stubbytail and Snag. They both seemed to know what he was thinking because they both nodded.

"We need help with an injured cat." Fireheart said. The cat Fireheart assumed was an apprentice spoke, "are you saying we give you herbs? We barely have enough to help our sickness." Russetfur whacked the apprentice's ear as if he said to much. The gray tom fell silent. Fireheart continued, "We don't need your herbs. We just want to know what kind of herbs we need to help him heal."

The two warriors turned to each other. "Nightstar needs to hear this." Russetfur said. Rowenbarry nodded in agreement. "You, Fireheart, come with us alone." Fireheart agreed, though his accomplices seemed skeptical. "For Blackfoot." Fireheart said. Stubbytail and Snag sighed, "For Blackfoot."

Fireheart followed the ShadowClan cats to their camp. A feeling of nervousness filled him. What if Nightstar said no? Would Blackfoot die if so? Fireheart stopped worrying when a sickly stench filled his nose. Fireheart entered the camp and was shocked. All these cats seemed so weak and starving.

Russetfur went straight for the leaders. As she did, Fireheart had a sudden memory when he first came to the ShadowClan camp, chasing out Brokentail and his cats. It seemed funny to Fireheart that StarClan is asking him to do something that he practically started.

Russetfur came back to Fireheart. "Follow me." she spoke. Fireheart obeyed. She lead the way to the leader's den where Nightstar and Runningnose sat. Fireheart tried to hide his shock as he laid eyes on the leader. Nightstar's pelt was unkempt, his eyes were tired, and the smell of sickness filled the air.

"Hello, Fireheart," Nightstar spoke. Runningnose turned to Russetfur and said, "leave us, but stay close." Russetfur obeyed. Once she left, Nightstar asked, "Why are you here?" Fireheart twitched his ears. "Cinderfur came to me in a dream." Fireheart said. Both ShadowClan cats looked surprised. "Why would he come to you in a dream?" Nightstar asked.

Fireheart explained everything Cinderfur told him, from wanting Fireheart to help ShadowClan, to bringing Brokentail's rogues back to ShadowClan. The ShadowClan cats seemed bewildered. "Why would he not come to me?" Nightstar asked. Runningnose suddenly asked, "What about ThuderClan? Surely you were loyal to them. Why help us?"

Fireheart was shocked. He Fireheart sighed, "I left ThunderClan. They don't need me anymore." The two ShadowClan cats looked at each other. "But where does your loyalty lie?" Fireheart was confused. "What do you mean?"

"Never mind that." Nightstar spoke, "Do you really think we would accept those traitors back here?" Fireheart frantically thought of ways to convince them. "We only want to help." Fireheart said, "You need warriors after that sickness."

"How do you know about or sickness?" Nightstar growled. Fireheart frantically said "Cinderfur came to me and told me in a dream. What more do you want?" Fireheart shook. "Please. I only asked to help because Blackfoot has an infected wound. I-"

"No." Nightstar said, "Unless StarClan comes to me, I will never trust you. Now get out of my camp." Fireheart looked at Runningnose. The sickly gray and white tom looked down, not wanting to upset his leader more. "Very well." Fireheart said, trying not to sound upset, "but if you change your mind, your cats know where to find me."

Russetfur was outside of the leaders den waiting for Fireheart. "What did he say?" the she-cat asked. Fireheart shook his head. Russetfur looked physically upset. "I will try to convince him to let you at least help us." she spoke. Fireheart felt a bit relieved that one cat seemed to want the rogues there.

"Thank you." Fireheart said, "If your clan ever needs prey or anything, you know where to find us." Russetfur perked up and said, "I'll bring you there." Fireheart agreed and the two cats left camp.

As the cats made their way to Fireheart's territory, the tom thought he heard a cat calling his name. The ginger cat turned to see Runningnose holding a few herbs in his jaws. "These are for Blackfoot." the sickly tom said, "squeeze the juice on the wound. If it isn't too infected, these would help drastically."

Fireheart felt flattered. "Thank you." he said, "our territory is full of prey and herbs. If you need any, you are welcome to ask." The medicine cat nodded in thanks. Fireheart took the herbs and followed Russetfur. "Oh, and Fireheart," Runningnose said, "Watch where your loyalty lies. It may hurt you."