Chapter 10

Fireheart prepared for Mudclaw to attack, but Onewhisker stepped in front of the agitated warrior. "If Fireheart felt like he needed to tell us," Onewhisker said, "it shows that even he is concerned as well. If StarClan came to any of you and told you to do what they asked him to do, would you have the courage to find and bring back the cats who chased us out?"

A few cats murmured in agreement. Fireheart felt relieved. The ginger tom turned to Tallstar. The black and white leader looked concerned. "You don't have to support me." Fireheart said. "But StarClan asked me to help ShadowClan, to bring those cats back. I'm just concerned that I won't have an ally in WindClan. I know you haven't trusted me since we held Brokentail, but I have to help ShadowClan."

Tallstar looked at his warriors. "Leave us." he told them. The warriors hesitated. Onewhisker was the first to leave, followed by other warriors. Mudclaw was the last to leave, narrowing his eyes at Fireheart. Once the tabby with out of earshot, Tallstar said, "If StarClan said so, than so be it. If you succeed in finding and doing what StarClan said, and I know you will, you will not lose WindClan as an ally. But if those cats ever set a foot in my territory, you will be warned."

"I know you will protect your clan." Fireheart said, "But I promise you, I will take care of them personally if they do." Tallstar nodded in respect. "Wise words, Fireheart. Bluestar taught you well." Not well enough, Fireheart thought. "I still have a lot to learn." Fireheart said. "And StarClan knows what challenges I will be facing."

"Truer words," Tallstar said. "May StarClan light your path." Fireheart nodded in thanks. "Oh," Fireheart said quickly as Tallstar padded to his camp. "Be wary of Tigerstar. He is a cat not to be trusted."

"He is a powerful cat." the elder cat said, "But, I will take your word for it." Fireheart felt a bit of relief as he turned towards Fourtrees. He knew what he had to do. Protect a new clan and help them recover.