Chapter 22

Fireheart, Oakpaw, and Rowanberry brought back the prey Fireheart caught, and some prey that was caught on the way back. Fireheart could tell, however, Oakpaw was distracted. Once the cats came to ShadowClan, Fireheart pulled Oakpaw aside.

"You ok?" Fireheart asked. Oakpaw nodded. "Why would he do that?" the apprentice asked. Fireheart sighed. He didn't know what to say to the apprentice. Wetfoot stepped aside Fireheart.

"Sometimes, cats do crazy things without thinking about consequences." the gray warrior spoke sincerely. Wetfoot gave Fireheart a nod and ushered his apprentice out of camp, presumably to talk about it.

Fireheart felt relieved. He didn't want to say the wrong thing. Fireheart sighed and walked around camp. He stopped as he heard groans in the medicine den. Fireheart could tell something was really wrong.

As the fiery tom stood there, Runningnose quickly poked his head out. "Fireheart, come in," the sickly tom concernedly said, "Blackfoot asked for you." Fireheart looked at the medicine cat confused. "Blackfoot asked for me?" Fireheart had so many questions, "Why?"

Runningnose shrugged, "He just asked for you. And Russetfur if I can find her." Russetfur seemed to hear her name, because she brushed passed a few warriors to talk to Runningnose. "You called for me?" she asked.

"Blackfoot asked for you and Fireheart." Runningnose said, "I'll be back. I'm collecting herbs. Blackfoot reopened his neck wound while fighting and might need some more treatment." Fireheart could tell Runningnose seemed nervous. Fireheart knew why. ShadowClan would lose two clan leaders within a half-moon of each other.

Fireheart followed Russetfur into the medicine den. There, Littlecloud was dressing Blackfoot's neck wound. "How is he?" Fireheart asked. Littlecloud sighed. "His neck wound seems worse than before he fought. And it might get really infected. Fireheart understood how serious this was.

"Don't worry them, Littlecloud." Blackfoot said, trying to sound commanding. As the white tom finished, he winced. "You sure your fine?" Russetfur asked concerningly. Blackfoot sighed. "I want to ask you two something." Both Fireheart and Russetfur nodded. Blackfoot looked at both of them and said, "I want the two of you to lead this clan in my absence."

Fireheart and Russetfur looked at each other. Fireheart never led a full clan before and Russetfur seemed concerned. "Your absence? What do you mean?" Russetfur asked. Littlecloud turned to the others and said, "He's going to have to stay in here for a while."

Fireheart felt slightly nervous. "Come on Fireheart," Russetfur said, "You're a ShadowClan cat now. You proved that earlier while helping Oakpaw." Fireheart looked at the ShadowClan she-cat. "But I'm not a leader."

"You are much like a leader when I was hurt the first time." Blackfoot said. Fireheart seemed surprised. When he first joined Blackfoot's group outside of ThunderClan territory, Blackfoot was frustrated with Fireheart when the fiery tom took lead. "You really trust me that much?" Fireheart asked.

"I wouldn't have let you stay with us otherwise." Blackfoot stated. Fireheart still felt conflicted. "What about the clan?" Fireheart asked, "They don't trust me."

"You chased out Brokenstar, brought our clanmates back, and saved Oakpaw," Littlecloud pointed out. "And," Russetfur chimed in, "you're not the only cat temporary lead, remember?" Russetfur turned to leave the medicine den, "no cat can argue with your loyalty, Fireheart. All you have to do is not screw up badly."

Fireheart looked at his paws. It didn't feel right. As Fireheart stood up and turned to leave, Blackfoot ominously said, "good luck, Fireheart."