Chapter 26

Days have passed since Blackfoot's passing. Fireheart and Russetfur continued to lead ShadowClan, but the clan doesn't feel the same. StarClan still haven't given Runningnose a sign and every cat feels restless. It wasn't like Runningnose, or even Littlecloud, weren't trying. The medicine cats have been searching endlessly for a sign or omen around the territory. Fireheart shivered. The Gathering was this coming night, which made Runningnose act nervous. Fireheart seemed to understand. Without a proper leader or deputy, Runningnose had to lead ShadowClan.

Fireheart came up to the medicine cat as he walked by. "Shall I get a Gathering patrol?" Fireheart asked. Runningnose seemed to be relieved as he said, "That will be helpful." Fireheart nodded and jumped onto Clanrock. "ShadowClan," Fireheart said, "the Gathering is tonight. Therefore, must have a Gathering patrol." Fireheart stopped for a moment before choosing, "Russetfur, Cedarpaw, Wetfoot, Nightwhisper, Oakpaw, Archeye, Flintfang, Runningnose, and myself. Eat and rest. We leave before sunfall."

All the gathering patrol did as Fireheart said except for Runningnose, who paced in front of Clanrock. Fireheart jumped down to talk to him. Fireheart knew Runningnose may get asked how Nightstar died with all of his lives he never got. "You ok?" Fireheart asked. Runningnose shook his head. "What do I say about Nightstar? What if they find out he never received his lives?"

Fireheart interrupted him and remembered what Yellowfang told him. "Never ask what if. That would only make things worse." Fireheart repeated Yellowfang. Runningnose took in a deep breath. The sickly tom looked relieved as he exhaled. "Now," Fireheart said, "the clans will be asking."

"I'll just say the Carrionplace sickness was most brutal to him." Runningnose said, though he didn't seem convinced. Fireheart sighed. If Runningnose didn't sound convinced, the other clans will get suspicious. "I can't say you will look at me like I'm crazy," Fireheart said, "but what would Brokentail say? How would he say it?"

Runningnose's fur bristled but nodded. "That is a crazy thought," the medicine cat said, "but you're right. Trying to think like a leader instead of a medicine cat will make us look strong." Runningnose looked really confident. "Get some rest, Fireheart," Runningnose said confidentially, "We're going to the Gathering."

The patrol made it to Fourtrees before any other clan, though, Fireheart could tell RiverClan was not far behind. Fireheart felt a nervous excitement fill him. This was his first Gathering since joining ShadowClan. A tap on Fireheart's shoulder made him jump. It was, however, Graystripe.

"Does it feel like we're reliving our first Gathering?" Graystripe asked. Fireheart nodded, unable to speak. Fireheart then turned to see WindClan coming into the clearing. Fireheart quickly touched noses with Tallstar. "Did you do as StarClan asked." Fireheart nodded and spoke, "Yes indeed. Though, I'm not sure how ThunderClan, or the rest of your clan, will react."

"Wise words, Fireheart." the WindClan leader said as he made his way towards the Great Rock. Crookedstar was already there, talking with Runningnose. Fireheart was about to sit with Onewhisker, until ThunderClan entered the clearing. Tigerstar immediately went to the Great Rock as his clanmates spread out. Yellowfang walked over to Fireheart and said, "You kept your promise." Fireheart touched noses with Yellowfang before Tallstar called the meeting.

Tigerstar began, "A fire had quickly spread through ThunderClan territory. Thanks to RiverClan help, our clan still lives. However, Halftail and Patchpelt had died from the smoke. I may also like to thank Fireheart. He was willing to go through the fire, not only saving a kit from a burning tree, but also saving my deputy, Longtail." Fireheart was very surprised. Why would his enemy declare him a hero? Did Tigerstar want ShadowClan to throw him out for helping ThunderClan? Or just to confuse Fireheart?

Tigerstar stepped back as Crookedstar stepped forward. "Do to the fire in ThunderClan, I have offered ThunderClan Sunningrocks." Tigerstar nodded in thanks. Crookedstar continued, "No major news in RiverClan." Tallstar stepped forward and talked about kits and new warriors. It was finally time for Runningnose to step up.

"Around a half moon ago, one of our cats went to hunt a rat in the Carrionplace. That rat had a sickness that spread throughout our clan. It had killed Nightstar's deputy, Cinderfur. Before Nightstar could announce a new deputy, the sickness had gotten to him. He died, taking everything with him. I am looking for a sign from StarClan for our next leader. But for now we are leaderless." Many cats gasped. Runningnose signaled his tail for silence. Fireheart was surprised and impressed how leader-like he was.

Runningnose continued as cats fell, "before Nightstar died, he let Brokentail's rogues, as well as Fireheart of ThunderClan, has join to strengthen ShadowClan after the sickness. We are not week in any way." Runningnose made sure to say the last sentence with force. Fireheart was impressed with how bold the medicine cat was.

Runningnose continued, "A quarter moon ago, before the ThunderClan fire, ThunderClan entered our territory to hunt. One of the former rogues, Blackfoot, personally led a patrol to confront the trespassers. Now Tigerstar," Runningnose turned to the ThunderClan leader, "why would you send your warriors into your territory?"

Tigerstar was stunned, or at least seemed to be. Fireheart couldn't tell. Tigerstar stalled for a few heartbeats before saying, "I realize my mistake. I thought I could get away with it. I am sorry. I will not do it again." Many ShadowClan hissed. Not many trusted the dark tabby. Leopardfur suddenly turned to Runningnose and asked, "Why not have Blackfoot lead ShadowClan? He was deputy before being chased out."

Runningnose sighed and said, "Blackfoot died from an infected wound a few nights ago, opened after chasing out ThunderClan." Many cats were shocked. The way Runningnose put it, it seemed like ThunderClan was to blame for the warrior's death. Fireheart worried about a fight, but he was ready to do so. Before any cats could do anything, however, clouds covered the sky. The Gathering was over, but tensions were still high. Fireheart prayed to StarClan that cats won't take it the wrong way. Oh StarClan, don't let ThunderClan do something mousebrained these next moon or two.