Chapter 33

Firestar barged into the ShadowClan camp, feeling betrayed. Cats immediately stared in confusion. "Where's Russetfur?" Nightwhisper asked. Firestar looked around at his cats and furiously said, "Jaggedtooth betrayed ShadowClan. He planned with ThunderClan to attack Russetfur and Stubbytail. Jaggedtooth took Russetfur into harm's way, injuring her, and let ThunderClan take himself and our deputy."

Cats hissed in furry, madder than Firestar himself. Oakfur suddenly came into view and asked, "Jaggedtooth did what to Russetfur?" Firestar immediately pinned the young warrior down. Oakfur was confused and tried to push Firestar off. Nightwhisper came over and helped Firestar. Firestar then asked the young warrior, "Were you planning on joining Tigerstar?"

Oakfur suddenly stopped struggling. Firestar asked another question, "were you and Jaggedtooth going to join Tigerstar's cause?" Oakfur was shaking as he said, "yes." Cats gasped. Oakfur started defending himself, saying, "Jaggedtooth and I were planning on joining Tigerstar, but he told me nothing about taking Russetfur!" Firestar hissed back, "What do you know?"

Oakfur began describing what Jaggedtooth told him, "He told me Tigerstar was right, that all clans should unite because leafbare is hard. He wanted to cause chaos in ShadowClan, but I knew nothing of Russetfur's kidnapping. I swear by StarClan. I swear!" Firestar and Nightwhisper let go. Oakfur was crouched low in fear. ShadowClan was murmuring on the situation.

Firestar quickly jumped onto Clanrock and said, "ShadowClan. Jaggedtooth has betrayed us and taken Russetfur to ThunderClan. First, we need to discuss Oakfur." Oakfur shook in fear as he went to Clanrock. "I say," Wetfoot said, "keep him in the clan, but do apprentice duties. Hunting far from the Thunderpath and collecting moss. We need every cat to do something." The warriors seemed to agree.

Firestar nodded and said, "Oakfur will now do apprentice duties, but one wrong move and I will personally escort out of ShadowClan territory. I will assign Cedarfur and Boulder to keep an eye on Oakfur. This brings me to my next point. Rowanpaw needs a new mentor." The apprentice nodded. "Rowanpaw, with Jaggedtooth gone, I will assign you a new mentor. I say these words under StarClan. Nightwhisper will be Rowanpaw's new mentor."

Cats called out to Nightwhisper. "Nightwhisper," Firestar spoke, "you have shown strong loyalty to ShadowClan. Pass it on wisely." Nightwhisper touched noses with his new apprentice and sat down. Boulder suddenly called out, "what about a new deputy?" Firestar nodded at his concern. "Wetfoot will take on deputy duties until we get Russetfur back." ShadowClan seemed to agree. Wetfoot stepped forward and said, "I am honored. I may only be temporary, but for Russetfur's sake, I will not disappoint you."

Firestar nodded. Wetfoot stepped back as Firestar stated, "Let us set up a patrol towards the ThunderClan border. Let us-" Shadepelt of RiverClan suddenly burst through the entrance. "Tigerstar is attacking RiverClan." the black pelted warrior said in fright, "Some of our warriors are fighting with him." Firestar turned to Wetfoot. The gray warrior immediately set up a patrol. Applefur, Tallpoppy, Cinderfur, Rowanberry, and Runningnose with herbs were called upon.

Firestar spoke to Wetfoot, "I will lead them. If Tigerstar decides to attack ShadowClan, meet me at Fourtrees." Wetfoot nodded and called for a border and hunting patrol. Firestar quickly led his patrol to Fourtrees, with Shadepelt showing the way. As they found their way to Fourtrees, the sound of fighting grew louder. "ShadowClan, attack!" Firestar yowled. The sound and sight of ShadowClan seemed to scare cats away. Cinderfur was about attack Leopardfur, when Shadepelt stopped him.

Firestar went to face the RiverClan deputy. "Who of your clan betrayed you? Where is Crookedstar?" Firestar asked. Leopardfur nodded her head, saying, "Crookedstar's dead. He died fighting Tigerstar." Leopardfur was weak from her wounds. Stonefur let her lean on him. Firestar looked around at the remaining RiverClan cats. Stonefur was with Leopardfur, Mistyfoot was with Shadepelt and Graystripe's kits. Mosspelt was also there, talking with Graypool.

In the far side of the clearing, Mudfur was looming over a blood soaked gray cat. Firestar's stomach dropped as Runningnose ran passed him, the scent of healing herbs flooding Firestar's nose. The cat on the ground was Graystripe. The ginger tom quickly ran to his friend's side. Graystripe was breathing and tried to get up. The gray tom fell to the ground as quickly as he got up. Mudfur took this opportunity to put herbs and cobwebs on him.

"Are you ok, Graystripe? You look pretty bad." Firestar said. Graystripe looked at Firestar and joke, "you should have the cat I was fighting." Graystripe winced in pain. Firestar looked at Runningnose. The ShadowClan medicine cat looked at Mudfur in trust. "I'll leave you all to it." Firestar said as he walked away.

Rustling of grass and heather coming from WindClan territory made Firestar worry. Was this another attack? Firestar was about to brace himself when Onewhisker and Tallstar showed themselves, as well as a fighting patrol. "Where is ThunderClan?" Firestar heard Mudclaw hiss. Firestar sighed and said, "They're gone. They took RiverClan territory with them."

Tallstar seemed almost shocked. "So this is what's left of RiverClan?" Onewhisker asked as he laid his eyes from one RiverClan cat to another. Leopardfur came over and said, defeatedly, "Crookedstar's dead and the other RiverClan cats were either killed or followed Tigerstar willingly. I am the leader of nothing now."

"That's not true." Stonefur interrupted her, "you have to lead the rest of us now." Leopardfur looked stumped for a heartbeat. Tallstar came forward and said, "The river crosses through our territory. With this little of your clan with you, we'll give you a small corner of the river to access." Leopardfur looked stunned as she said, "We can't do this to you."

Deadfoot stepped forward and said, "We insist. You have nowhere to go. We are in hard times, with ThunderClan causing trouble."

"As long as you stay where you're supposed to." Firestar heard Mudclaw hiss. Leopardfur nodded and said, "Thank you, Tallstar." She turned to Firestar, "For your help, if there will be a fight, despite how small we are currently, we will fight against Tigerstar."

"As will we." Tallstar said. Every cat yowled in agreement. Firestar was stunned, but thanked all of them. Now Firestar understood how Tigerstar was not just his problem, but all of theirs, too. Tallstar turned to his territory. Leopardfur followed. Firestar couldn't help but feel nervous as he thought that it was not if, but when a fight will happen.