Chapter 3

Fireheart walked along the fence for a bit before he made it to his former kittypet home. He sighed. The morning sky and cool air made Fireheart feel relaxed. He went through so much just to end up Clanless, and on top of it, denless. As Fireheart sighed and turned, a tabby she-cat squealed, "wild cat. What are you doing on my fence?"

Fireheart looked at the yard he use to share tongues with Smudge and other such kittypets. "I didn't mean to startle you," Fireheart said as least threatening as possible, "just visiting old haunts." Fireheart laughed and said, "just think, I use to live in that nest."

The tabby perked up and said, "you must be Rusty, the kittypet who left his housefolk to become a wild cat. Smudge talked so much about you when I first came here." She sprung onto the fence and leaped to Smudge's den. "Smudge! Come here. A cat hear said he use to live here."

A grumpy sounding tom sighed and said, "for our housefolks' sakes, keep it down Haiti. We don't want other housefolks throw things or complain again." Scraping sounds of the two kittypets shook the fence before both of them made it over. "Hello, old friend." Smudge said. "I haven't seen you in ages."

"Same here, Smudge. How's it been?" Fireheart asked, not wanting to be rude. Smudge twitched his ears and said, "it's fine. I see you've met Haiti, the kittypet who lives with your old housefolk." Haiti excitedly said, "how do you do." Fireheart nodded in response. "So," Smudge said, "what brings you back?"

Fireheart didn't want to scare the two, so he simply stated, "I'm just passing through. Sorry for intruding. I will be going if you don't mind." Smudge perked his ears and said, "no not at all. Hope to see you around!"

"Wait," Haiti stopped Fireheart. "Why don't you sleep here under the bushes. You look tired." Fireheart almost rejected het offer but felt his legs shake. He had just been through a tough time with leaving ThunderClan and crossing the river multiple times.

"Alright," Fireheart said, "but I will only stay until before sunhigh. Than I must leave. Thank you for your offer." Haiti purred at Fireheart's kind words. The ginger tom went through the bushes as Haiti and Smudge jumped onto the fence that separated the two yards. Fireheart's mind wandered into sleep as he thought how funny it was that he is in the same yard his journey to the Clans began. He only wished he saved Bluestar.