Chapter 31

Firestar couldn't sleep after the Gathering. He worried of a brutal attack from Tigerstar. Firestar sighed and took this time to groom his pelt, which had become unkempt throughout the night. The sun broke through the camp as Firestar finished.

Firestar left his den as cats began to leave their dens. Once every cat waited for orders, Firestar sprang onto Clanrock. "Cats of ShadowClan," Firestar addressed, "you may have heard what Tigerstar had announced at the gathering. However, we will not join him and his scheme." Cats cheered. Firestar looked around at his cats. They were ready. Then his eyes landed on Jaggedtooth and Oakfur. They were muttering with each other, clearly not listening to Firestar.

Firestar felt frustrated, but put it aside. Firestar continued, "I want double patrols at the ThunderClan border. Russetfur will organize these patrols." Archeye and a few other elders purposely coughed to get Firestar's attention. "What is it, Archeye?" Firestar asked. Archeye spoke, "If you don't mind, Firestar, us elders would like to contribute. If everything is true about Tigerstar, we want to help. Whatever it takes."

Firestar was surprised but relieved. "Do you mind hunting?" Firestar asked, "I worry if you get hurt." Archeye turned to his fellow elders. Each nodded. "Ok Firestar." Archeye said, "Thank you." Firestar nodded and said, "No. Thank you. The clan needs prey." The elders stepped back.

Firestar cleared his throat and continued, "We also need to start battle training. We may have a large fight on our paws and we need to be prepared. Webfoot, will you set that up?" Russetfur nodded. Firestar concluded the meeting with a nod. As he jumped from Clanrock, Firestar saw Jaggedtooth quickly pace towards the exit. Firestar stopped the ginger tom and said, "Why in such a rush?"

"I was going hunting." Jaggedtooth shuddered. Firestar saw through his lie. "Where is your apprentice?" Firestar asked. Jaggedtooth fell quiet. Russetfur fell next to Firestar and said, "I will bring Jaggedtooth and Rowanpaw with me on my patrol." Firestar agreed. Jaggedtooth didn't argue. Rowanpaw seemed excited.

When Russetfur's patrol left, Firestar noticed Oakfur trying to sneak out. Nightwhisper stopped him and asked what he was doing. Oakfur hissed at him before storming off to the warriors den. Firestar stepped next to Nightwhisper and said, "Oakfur has alway been hot tempered." Nightwhisper nodded, clearly upset. Firestar sighed and said, "I have to ask a favor from you. Keep an eye on Oakfur for me. I suspect he and Jaggedtooth are planning something."

Nightwhisper didn't seem startled. The brown tom looked at his paws and said, "I know they're planning something. Last night, I overheard Jaggedtooth and Oakfur talking about how they plan to cross the border for something and fell quiet when I asked what they were talking about." Firestar wasn't sure if he should be shocked.

Nightwhisper looked at Firestar and said in confidence, "If I see Jaggedtooth and Oakfur within earshot of each other, I will be sure to let you know." Firestar was proud of the former rogue. Nightwhisper had gotten use to clan life so well. As Nightwhisper started to leave, Firestar asked him, "Get Stubbytail to keep an eye on Jaggedtooth. And don't make yourselves noticeable." Nightwhisper nodded and stayed close to the warriors den. Firestar felt a bit comforted. He suddenly felt tired after not sleeping that night, so Firestar decided to take a nap.

Later that day, Firestar led a patrol to the ThunderClan border. He made sure to pass the training hollow. Firestar was happy to see Wetfoot and Applefur training one on one. As the patrol made their way, he saw something moving inside the Thunderpath tunnels. He gave Rowanberry, Cedarfur, and Tallpoppy a nod. The patrol crept forward. "Who's there?" Firestar called, "Show yourselves."

Speckletail stepped forward, as did Goldenflower. Both looked battered and tired. Even Rowanberry was shocked at the shape they were in. Firestar asked the two queens, "What happened?" Speckletail was the first to speak, "This morning, Tigerstar came to the nursery. He called Tawnykit and Bramblekit, which they came to him. Tigerstar then called Snowkit, but since, Snowkit is deaf, he didn't go. Tigerstar immediately grabbed the kit and started hurting him. Goldenflower and I tried to stop hi, but it was too late." Speckletail shivered and said, "He killed my kit, Firestar. He killed Snowkit."

Rowanberry and Tallpoppy rested their heads on the old queen's shoulders. They understood the loss of kits. Firestar turned his attention to Goldenflower. She was looking at her paws. "Where's your kits?" he asked. Goldenflower sighed and said, "Tigerstar threatened me through them if I didn't stop swiping at him for killing Snowkit." Firestar understood. Goldenflower and Speckletail left for their own safety, but couldn't take Bramblekit and Tawnykit.

"Let's bring them back to camp." Firestar announced. His patrol nodded and brought the two queens to camp. Russetfur spotted the ThunderClan queens and tried to attack them. Firestar stopped her and pulled his deputy aside. "Are you crazy?" she hissed between her teeth, "They are ThunderClan cats. Are you still loyal to ThunderClan?" Firestar understood her concerns. "Tigerstar killed Speckletail's kit in front of her without warning. Speckletail and Goldenflower tried to stop him. Now they has nowhere to go."

Russetfur didn't look satisfied. Firestar sighed and said, "I'm loyal to ShadowClan, but I can't see a hurt cat without helping." Russetfur looked at Firestar and said, "I can't convince you, can I?" Firestar shook his head. Russetfur seemed to relax a bit. "I'll keep Rowanberry and Tallpoppy with the two. I don't care if their your former clanmates or queens. I still don't trust them." Firestar didn't stop her. He was just happy to have such a good deputy. He wouldn't know what he'll do if Tigerstar did something to her.