Chapter 34

Firestar patrolled alone during the night. The full moon was just days away and he worried for an ambush during the Gathering, if there is a Gathering. A shiver shook through the leader. He couldn't think like that. He looked across the Thunderpath into ThunderClan territory. What will happen to them?

His stomach turned as passed Fourtrees. Firestar couldn't look at it. He looked forward to WindClan territory. Firestar remembered passing Leopardfur and her cats a few time on a day patrol. Firestar pitied her. He knew Leopardfur refused to get her nine lives until she gets her clan back, which will be a hard to do.

As he passed Fourtrees, low whispers could be heard. The whispers grew louder as he got closer. They seem to be warning Firestar of something. Firestar stopped, being very suspicious. A cat slowly crept forward. Firestar threw himself onto the mysterious cat. This cat had poor fighting skills, because Firestar pinned him easily. "Get off, Fireheart." the cat said. Firestar stepped back. This cat's white pelt gleamed in the moonlight. The cat's twoleg collar jingled as he stood up. "Cloudtail?" Firestar asked. He was bigger than when Firestar last saw him. Plump too.

"Cloud now." Cloudtail said, "What's this about being ShadowClan leader?" Firestar sighed and said, "I am ShadowClan's new leader. Why do you ask?" Cloud sat down and said, "I met Whitestorm at the border. He told me all about you in ShadowClan and all the latest news."

Firestar felt annoyed. "You didn't just come here to see if I were clan leader." Firestar asked. Cloud shook his head. "Tigerstar has been sending cats to recruit kittypets and rogues for a battle. Just wanted to give you a heads up." Firestar looked at his former apprentice and asked, "How do you know?"

"Oh, Smudge told me he spotted a black and white tom, a brown tom, and a white and ginger she-cat asking a rogue about joining ThunderClan." Cloud said, "I only assume the cats he saw was Swiftclaw, Dustpelt, and Brightheart."

"So why did you come here at night? What about your mother?" Firestar asked. Cloud scratched his ear as he said, "I occasionally come out at night, so my twolegs know I'll come back eventually. Princess is fine. She worries about you though. Come and visit whenever this thing blows over."

Cloud stood up and stretched. "Thank you so much, Cloud." Firestar said, "If I can ask for one favor, can you tell the cats around the border not to trust any cat who tells them to join ThunderClan?" Cloud nodded and said, "I've been doing that. Every kittypet believes me because I was a forest cat once. The rogues and loners are harder to convince."

"Thank you anyways." Firestar said. As Cloud turned to leave, Firestar asked, "Is any cat with you? I heard other cats whisper in your direction." Cloud shook his head. "You must be hearing thing." Cloud said stubbornly. The white tom went to ThunderClan territory in the direction of twolegplace. Firestar sighed. He was alone once more.

Firestar finished his patrol and got back to ShadowClan camp as the sun rose. Cats began to stir. Wetfoot came up to Firestar and asked, "Any ThunderClan scents." Firestar nodded and told his deputy, "I saw my kittypet nephew though. He warned me that Tigerstar is trying to recruit cats from twolegplace." As Firestar mentioned cats from twolegplace, Boulder came by and asked nervously, "What sort of cats?"

Firestar shrugged, "He wasn't specific. Cloud only mentioned cats near his twolegs. Why? Are there worse cats out there?" Boulder only nodded. "Where?" Firestar asked. Boulder spoke in a panic, "You don't understand, Firestar. They aren't good cats. They kill each other for fun and use their victims as trophies. They uses deathblows. If Scourge gets enlisted by Tigerstar, we have no chance of winning."

Firestar trusted Boulder. With a leader named Scourge, these cats must be scary. "We need to find those cats of yours." Firestar said, "If they are as bad as you say, we must tell Scourge not to trust any news from ThunderClan." Boulder nodded. Wetfoot was sitting silently. Firestar looked at him and said, "I'll only be gone for maybe a day. Send out patrols."

"I'll talk to a few of the rogues and loners at the end of the fence line. I have a few friends there." Nightwhisper chimed in. Wetfoot nodded and said, "I'll take your apprentice for the day." Nightwhisper nodded in thanks. Firestar gave Boulder a nod and let him lead the way. For all Firestar knew, he was going into hostile territory.