Chapter 25

Crookedstar and Tigerstar spoke silently as both clans huddled under bushes to hide from the rain. Cats murmured amongst themselves as Fireheart groomed his wet fur. He didn't know what to do first. As he looked around, Graystripe padded up to him. The two touched noses.

"I want you to meet my kits." Graystripe quickly said. Fireheart followed the gray tom as he excitedly led the way to the nursery. Two kits immediately swarmed Graystripe's legs. One of the kits, the silver she-kit, spotted Fireheart and immediately asked, "Who are you? I've never seen you before. Are you from ThunderClan? How long have you been a warrior?"

"Alright, that's enough." Fireheart heard Mosspelt say as she came out of the den, "Come inside before you catch a cold." The two kits lowered their tails as they followed their foster mother back inside the nursery. Graystripe looked at Fireheart. "They have grown since I saw them last." Fireheart tried to say excitedly.

"Haven't they?" Graystripe excitedly said, seemingly not noticing Fireheart's tone, "They are so much like their mother." Before Fireheart could respond, someone called his name. He turned to see Whitestorm, Stonefur, and Mistyfoot were seen chatting. Fireheart and Graystripe made their way to them. "Hello Fireheart. Graystripe." Whitestorm said as he nodded to the both of them.

"Hello, Whitestorm," Graystripe awkwardly replied. Fireheart knew how it felt confronting former clanmates. Whitestorm asked in a polite manner, "How are your kits?" Graystripe perked, "They are wonderful. They are getting bigger each day." Graystripe looked at his paws. Seeing ThunderClan took a heavier tole on Graystripe than when Fireheart first saw Whitestorm moons ago.

Whitestorm seemed to notice because he turned to Fireheart and said, "So you're in ShadowClan now." Fireheart could feel Graystripe staring at him in shock. "ShadowClan?" Graystripe asked, "Are you mousebrained?"

Fireheart turned to Graystripe and said, "I am not mousebrained. A sickness from the carrionplace swept through ShadowClan and killing many cats. I am helping them get strong again." Graystripe fell silent. Whitestorm didn't seem to care, nor did Stonefur and Mistyfoot.

"As long as no cats are killed from your paws." Stonefur said. Mistyfoot agreed. "How is ShadowClan?" Graystripe asked. Fireheart looked at his paws. He didn't know what to tell them. Before he could say anything, Yellowfang called Fireheart over. The gray medicine cat sat him down in a few bushes making sure no one was within earshot.

Fireheart felt more comfortable talking to Yellowfang about ShadowClan. "So you're in ShadowClan now, are you not?" she asked. Fireheart nodded. "How is Nightstar and his leadership? And what about you? Are you doing alright?" Yellowfang asked. Worry filled Fireheart as he told Yellowfang everything, from him witnessing Tigerstar kill Bluestar, to Nightstar's mysterious death, to Blackfoot ominously talking about his absence and Fireheart's new leadership role.

"I don't know what to do." Fireheart said, "I feel so conflicted. What if-" Yellowfang cut Fireheart off, "Never ask what if. That would only make things worse." Fireheart looked at the fiery tempered she-cat. He knew she had her regrets and obstacles while in ShadowClan. He listened to her advice as Yellowfang continued, "This is all knew to you. But remember, you adjusted to clan life before, what makes this so different?"

Fireheart sighed, "I had you and Bluestar to help me." Yellowfang perked in amusement. Fireheart smiled solemnly as he continued "I know Bluestar would guide my paws. And you in my head to nag me for doing something mousebrained." Yellowfang seemed pleased with Fireheart's answer.

Fireheart laid his head on Yellowfang's shoulder. She did the same. "Thank you, Yellowfang." Fireheart said, "I hope to see you at the next Gathering." Yellowfang sighed, "I wish I bore a son like you, Fireheart. You are a nice and confident cat." Fireheart felt moved by her words. She laughed and said, "It's funny. You brought me into ThunderClan. And now that I have been accepted in ThunderClan, and now that I am accepted fully, it's you who is helping my former clan."

Before he could respond, Fireheart saw Cedarpaw, Russetfur's apprentice. He was speaking frantically to Fireheart, "Blackfoot sent for you." the fear in the apprentice's eyes made Fireheart shiver. This may be the end of the white warrior. Fireheart shook his head. It can't be. "Fireheart, please. He's weak and may not last the night." Cedarpaw said.

Fireheart looked at Yellowfang. Fireheart's suspicions were right. She seemed to come to the same conclusion. She gave him a nod and Fireheart sprang to run with Cedarpaw back to ShadowClan. Fireheart went through fourtrees to ShadowClan territory. The fiery tom slowed down to led Cedarpaw catch his breath. "I'm fine," the apprentice huffed, "I've just never run do much."

The two toms continued with a quick and steady pace. The rain started up again as they made it back to camp. The horror filled Fireheart as he realized something. A large, white tom was in the clearing with warriors looking in grief. Fireheart was too late to say goodbye to the temporary leader. Blackfoot was dead.