Chapter 28

Fireheart and Runningnose silently entered Mothermoth. The ShadowClan cats hadn't been spotted in WindClan, which Fireheart was relieved. He didn't want to meet his allies. The night was half over when Fireheart spotted the Moonstone. He took a deep breath, as well as Runningnose. Both of them were nervous.

Runningnose touched noses with the stone. Fireheart followed, knowing he had to at least try to get his lives. He suddenly felt cold, the coldest he ever felt. Panic filled the fiery tom until he slowly drifted into darkness.

Fireheart opened his eyes. He was at Fourtrees. Fireheart had a familiar feeling. He knew he was in StarClan. He looked up at the sky to see nine pairs of starry eyes spiraled around his head. They stopped as their cat shapes took form. "Fireheart," the cats said in unison, "are you ready to receive your nine lives?" Fireheart felt relieved. He knew Runningnose felt the same.

"I am ready." Fireheart proudly said. Nightstar stepped forward, his yellow eyes glowed proudly. "Fireheart," the black tom said, "I am happy to give you something I never received when I was in your position." He rested his nose on Fireheart's head. "With this life, I give you the belief in StarClan. Even when bad things happen, or when dark times show themselves, know that StarClan is willing to help." A wave of pain scorched through Fireheart's body. Nightstar stepped back and Fireheart felt shocked. Was every life like this?

The gray pelt of Cinderfur crossed Fireheart's view. As began to Fireheart a life, Fireheart prepared himself. "With this life," Cinderfur said, "I give you acceptance. It is easy to forgive, but hard to accept. Use it wisely." The pain of the life came and went, and Fireheart was ready for the next one.

Cinderfur stepped back and Blackfoot took his place. Fireheart felt a small pinch of pity, but he knew Blackfoot will get use to StarClan. Blackfoot put his nose on Fireheart's head and said, "I give you the life of strength to act without fear or judgement. Some are only following orders. Judge them accordingly." Fireheart felt his fear be washed away as his muscles tightened in pain. Relief came when Blackfoot stepped back.

It took Fireheart a heartbeat to recognize the next cat that stepped forward. He was a black tom with white on his chest and paws. Fireheart suddenly realized it was Whitethroat, the tom who Darkstripe had killed on ThunderClan territory. Whitethroat touched Fireheart's head and said, "With this life, I give you justice. Some have wronged others in these clans, and they need to justify for their actions."

Once Whitethroat was done, he stepped back. The cat who took Whitethroat's place was another cat he did not recognise. A dappled tortoiseshell tom with a red tail stood in front of him. "I am Redtail." the starry tom said, "Bluestar's deputy before Lionheart." Fireheart was shocked. This was the cat Tigerstar had killed the day he joined ThunderClan. "I am sorry Redtail." Fireheart said, "I didn't tell anyone what had happened to you."

Redtail stepped forward and proceeded to give Fireheart a life, saying, "I give you the life of truth. The truth may be sharper than claws, but helps a lasting peace. Use this to triumph against the wrong in the clans." This life hurt Fireheart a lot more than the others, but he knew any life would give him strength to fight against Tigerstar.

Redtail stepped back and broad shouldered, golden tabby tom stood in front of Fireheart. Fireheart instantly knew this cat to be Lionheart. Joy filled Fireheart's belly. Lionheart touched Fireheart's head and and said, "With this life, I give you courage. When dark times arise, courage will form to bring the light." This life burnt through Fireheart's pelt like fire in a forest. Once Lionheart finished, he stepped back.

A silver she-cat took his place. Fireheart knew this was Silverstream, Graystripe's lost love. She touched Fireheart's head and said, "I give you the life of Sympathy and Understanding. Use it to help those who are weak and in need of help." This life was slightly calmer than any of the other lives Fireheart had received. Once Silverstream was done, she stepped back.

Fireheart was overjoyed with the next cat who stepped forward. Spottedleaf, with her beautiful pelt and sweet scent, stepped forward to give Fireheart a life. Spottedleaf put her nose on Fireheart's head and said, "My love, with this life, I give you Patience and Hope. Things may not go your way, but things take time." After Spottedleaf was done, Fireheart felt like he could wait for an answer forever. Then he thought to himself, _I have one more life. I can take it._

Fireheart looked at where Spottedleaf once stood. There, a young blue-gray she-cat stood before him. It took Fireheart a few heartbeats before realizing it was Bluestar. He was confused why it took him that long. He had seen her before in StarClan. How did he not notice her young appearance before.

Bluestar spoke firmly, "My apprentice, my warrior, the fire in ThunderClan. And now ShadowClan. I am so proud of you. And now, your ninth and final life." She rested her nose on Fireheart's head and said proudly, "With your final life, I give you War and Peace. Like a broken bones, war breaks cats, but peace makes them stronger. Use this life well." Fireheart gasped. Visions of battles from cats he had never seen. From kittypets fending off intruders in their gardens, to the many border scrimmages and an all out war at fourtrees. Fireheart felt every claw, but also every wound that healed and every peaceful time.

Bluestar stepped back. Nightstar yowled in the air, "I hail you by your new name, Firestar. Your old life is no more. You have now received the nine lives of a leader, and StarClan grants you the guardianship of ShadowClan. Defend it well; care for young and old; honor your ancestors and the traditions of the warrior code; live each life with pride and dignity."

Cats started calling out, "Firestar! Firestar!"

A sudden caterwauling filled the air. All the cats Firestar had received lives from spoke all at once, "Bad times are coming, Firestar. Stay strong and trust your allies." Firestar was terrified. What was going on? He immediately woke up in Mothermoth.

Runningnose seemed to wake up too, because suddenly began stirring. Runningnose jumped up and signaled Firestar to follow him. Firestar noticed the sky was turning a dark blue. He decided to follow the medicine cat out. Once out, Runningnose asked, "Did you receive a message from StarClan too?" Firestar nodded, too tired to speak.

Runningnose seemed to understand. "Let's go to Barley's Farm. He may spare us a few mice." Firestar nodded in agreement. He wanted to talk to Ravenpaw. He was ready to confront Tigerstar once and for all.