Chapter 32

A quarter moon passed since the gathering. There have been weak raid attempts from ThunderClan, but Firestar was wondering if Tigerstar was purposely sending weaker warriors to scare them. Firestar sent out dusk patrol, with Russetfur at the lead, with Jaggedtooth following behind. He also sent Stubbytail with them, since Rowanpaw picked up a stomach ache after eating an old frog.

Oakfur was sitting near the freshkill pile. Firestar tried to keep Jaggedtooth and Oakfur way from each other without making it too obvious, but on occasion, Nightwhisper and Stubbytail would overhear them talking about joining Tigerstar.

Firestar sighed and looked at Speckletail and Goldenflower. Speckletail seemed to be getting use to ShadowClan. The old queen was convinced by Archeye and Flintfang to stay in the elders den since she was getting pretty frail. Firestar allowed Goldenflower to stay in his nest while he slept in the warriors den. The current queen had a harder time getting use to ShadowClan, and the cats around her. Firestar assumed part of it was from worrying about her kits.

Firestar sighed. He couldn't imagine what she was going through. He grabbed a squirrel from the freshkill pile and walked over to Goldenflower. She was laying in the sun, looking dreadful. "Hey, Goldenflower." Firestar called. She looked up at Firestar, her eyes seemed unfocused. Firestar took the time to give her the squirrel. "Eat." Firestar said. She didn't seem to want to eat.

Firestar sighed again. It hurt him to see this once strong spirited she-cat like this. He sat next to Goldenflower and said, "I know I don't understand how you feel, but if you need someone to, I am here for you." Goldenflower's eyes lightened up a bit. "Thank you, Firestar." the queen said, "I'm just worried, that's all." Firestar nodded and said, "I am too. But there is no point in worrying. I know StarClan will protect us. Now eat. We are from separate clans, but I am a leader I don't want any cat to go hungry."

Goldenflower gave Firestar a purr before grabbing the squirrel and took a bite. Firestar was pleased and turned. He saw Speckletail padding over to Goldenflower and Firestar, holding a mouse in her jaw. She gave Firestar a nod and sat next to Goldenflower. Firestar walked away from the ThunderClan queens and padded over to the freshkill pile. The elders were all talking around it, talking about the cold weather.

Firestar took a finch and sat near the warriors den. Once he was finished, Firestar noticed Wetfoot was pacing. "Are you ok?" Firestar asked. The gray warrior said, "I have a really bad feeling." Firestar perked and asked, "when did it start?" Wetfoot shrugged and said "When Russetfur's patrol left. I have a feeling something bad is going to happen to them." Firestar took this seriously. "Ok, Wetfoot," Firestar said, "get Boulder, Rowanberry, and Applefur. If your feeling is wrong, we can just join their patrol."

Wetfoot nodded and found the cats. Firestar briefed them and led the patrol towards the border. As they got close, the scent of blood and the sound of fighting filled the air. Firestar turned to Wetfoot, who seemed bewildered. Firestar immediately sprang forward, with his cats following.

Firestar was shocked at what he saw. Stubbytail was pinned by Swiftpaw and Brightpaw, two ThunderClan apprentices. Stubbytail was yowling for his life. In the Thunderpath tunnel, Jaggedtooth and Longtail were fighting with Russetfur. Firestar was even more shocked when Jaggedtooth tried to give the ShadowClan deputy the deathblow.

Firestar immediately hissed and threw himself at the traitor, pinning the ginger tom. Longtail threw himself at Firestar and fought profusely. While fighting, Longtail hissed at Jaggedtooth, "You said there weren't going to be any patrols out." Jaggedtooth defended himself and said, "there wasn't." Firestar turned to Russetfur. She was very injured and didn't move, other then her breathing. Firestar knew she couldn't help him for what was coming. Longtail signaled his tail and an ambush, consisting of Dustpelt, Ashpaw, Runningwind, and Sandstorm rushed the battle.

Firestar swung at Longtail and hissed, "Was Tigerstar too scared to lead this patrol?" Longtail hissed and fought back hard. Jaggedtooth didn't help Longtail. Instead, he was dragging Russetfur to ThunderClan territory. Firestar tried to help his deputy, but was pinned by Longtail and Dustpelt. As Firestar was being crushed by his former clanmates, he heard Sandstorm hiss at Jaggedtooth, "what are you doing to Russetfur? Why are you bringing her to ThunderClan?"

Jaggedtooth responded with a hiss, "Tigerstar's orders. Now help me." Firestar could just see the dismay in her eyes as he helped Jaggedtooth. By now, Firestar was filled with rage. He swiped at Dustpelt's legs, knocking him over. Firestar then used his back legs to flip Longtail. Before Dustpelt could take a swipe at Firestar, Applefur knocked Dustpelt over.

Firestar looked to his cats. Swiftpaw and Brightpaw were running from Wetfoot as Stubbytail pinned Ashpaw. Longtail seemed to realize ThunderClan was losing, because he called, "ThunderClan. Retreat." Longtail turned and ran for ThunderClan territory. Dustpelt followed, saying, "Swiftclaw, Brightheart, Ashpaw, come on." The rest of the patrol ran for ThunderClan territory. Firestar followed them, determined to find Russetfur.

He followed her scent, but over time, the smell of fern and wet soot filled his nose. Firestar had no choice but to turn back. Now, though, he was angry. Jaggedtooth betrayed ShadowClan, and Oakfur probably knew.