Chapter 20

Fireheart looked a Applefur, then at ShadowClan. Was it true? An uncomfortable feeling swept over Fireheart. If ThunderClan started to hunt in ShadowClan territory, that means Tigerstar is planning on taking the territory. That means ShadowClan has to act fast.

"What happened, Applefur?" Blackfoot asked. The brown she-cat panted, "I was hunting alone to get some fresh air. I was heading for the Thunderpath when I sented ThunderClan and prey being hunted."

Some of ShadowClan seemed skeptical. "It may have just been Fireheart," Flintfang said, "or Littlecloud, since Littlecloud sought out help from them." Applefur quickly faced the light gray tom, "Fireheart hadn't kept his ThunderClan scent since he and the rogues joined us. And I am very positively certain it was not Littlecloud."

Blackfoot stood in silence for a moment, then spoke, "If what you say is true, than we have to chase them out." The white tom turned to Russetfur. "gather a battle patrol. ThunderClan won't leave ShadowClan territory without a fight." The red she-cat nodded at the tom, "how many patrols?"

"Two." Blackfoot said, "and I will be leading one." The she-cat quickly nodded and followed his orders. Fireheart could see Littlecloud walking out of the medicine den and up to Blackfoot and asked him to not assign him a patrol. "Of course." Blackfoot said, "Why not?" The tabby awkward looked at his paws, "Well, I didn't want to join because I have decided to be Runningnose's apprentice."

Blackfoot seemed surprised, but said, "If that's what you want to do. I'm not stopping you." Littlecloud nodded in thanks and quickly went to help Runningnose. Fireheart couldn't help but feel optimistic for Littlecloud.

Blackfoot seemed to realize Fireheart overheard their conversation and padded over to him. "Why don't you do something useful and go hunting. We don't want you to get in our way and I don't believe you had a chance to catch anything."

Fireheart wasn't sure if Blackfoot was being considerate or just sending him hunting, but Fireheart was happy he wouldn't face his former clanmates. "Am I hunting alone?" Fireheart asked. Blackfoot nodded. "We need every healthy cat we can. And I know you will not hurt your former clanmates. You don't want to get in our way."

"Say no more, Blackfoot." Fireheart said, "I will do my best." Blackfoot turned and lead his battle patrol. An empty feeling filled Fireheart. He felt torn between clans. Fireheart hoped he will never feel this much heartache, but he knew what he was getting into. Fireheart sighed. One day, ThunderClan won't see him the same way.