Chapter 23

Fireheart felt uneasy as he laid in his nest. It's already been two days and it was tough. Blackfoot hadn't gotten any better and Fireheart worried ShadowClan would lose another leader. The sun hasn't even set yet, but it felt like a long, dry day. Fireheart knew he couldn't sleep, so he stood up from his nest and headed towards the camp exit. A sudden call of his name made the fiery tom turn around.

Runningnose and Littlecloud were heading right for him. Fireheart was surprised to see both of the medicine cats wanting to join him. As they caught up, Fireheart asked, "What about Blackfoot?" Runningnose answered, "I gave him a poppy seed and cleaned his wound. I have a few warriors keeping an eye on him."

"Where to?" Fireheart asked. "Near the Thunderpath." Littlecloud answered, "There are some herbs we need to find." Fireheart nodded and let the two cats take the lead, Fireheart keeping an eye on the border.

As the medicine cats searched for herbs to store, Fireheart made his way to where ThunderClan tried to hunt. Luckily, no ThunderClan scent was recent. Fireheart felt satisfied, though he was unsure if it was from not wanting to fight more of his former clanmates or from loyalty to ShadowClan.

Fireheart shook his head and made his way back to the medicine cats. Both of them were carrying large bundles of herbs, which seemed to please Runningnose. The three cats made their way back. On their way, Wetfoot, with a patrol behind him, brushed passed them.

"Good herb finding, rabbit heart?" Wetfoot joked. "Of course, fox eater." Fireheart joked back. Wetfoot laughed and led his patrol for hunting. Fireheart felt happy warriors began to trust him, though not without Russetfur and Stubbytail's help.

The three ShadowClan cats made their way to camp. By the time they got organized, Fireheart felt ready to sleep.

Fireheart woke up, though he didn't know why. The sky seemed darker and the air felt thick. Fireheart quicky left the den to see the sky covered in smoke. The ShadowClan warriors seemed frantic. Wetfoot suddenly burst through the camp entrance with his patrol. "There is a fire in ThunderClan territory."