Chapter 29

The two ShadowClan cats found Barley's farm. Once inside, Firestar called, "Ravenpaw. Barley." Firestar turned to Runningnose and said, "You know Ravenpaw, right?" Runningnose nodded and said, "He was a ThunderClan apprentice before deciding to become a loner with Barley, right?"

Ravenpaw's black head popped out and said, "Fireheart. How are you? Did you help ShadowClan?" Runningnose stopped Ravenpaw and said, "He did more than help ShadowClan. He is Firestar now. Leader of ShadowClan." Ravenpaw looked shocked.

Barley poked his head out of the hay and said, "What is this about being leader?" Ravenpaw turned to Barley and said, "Fireheart is now leader of ShadowClan!" Barley looked surprised, but amused. "So why did you come?" the black and white loner asked. Runningnose spoke, "Just to rest and eat." Ravenpaw led the way a small area of the barn. Runningnose turned to Firestar and said, "I'll make you a nest."

Firestar nodded and turned to Ravenpaw. "Can I speak to you for a second?" Ravenpaw nodded. They made their way outside to make sure no cat heard. Once out of earshot, Firestar spoke, "at the next gathering, I am going to confront Tigerstar about all the crimes he had committed. I want you to come with me." Ravenpaw looked stunned. Firestar felt bad for asking him so harshly.

Firestar went to apologize. "Ravenpaw, I'm sor-" Ravenpaw interrupted Firestar and said, "I know. I just never thought it would come to this day." Firestar suddenly heard Runningnose call, "Firestar. Your nest is done. I don't want you to lose a life from a sickness." Firestar looked at Ravenpaw. "Go," the black tom said. Firestar went in the farm, suddenly feeling tired.He curled into the nest and quickly fell asleep.

Firestar woke sore. He never realized getting a leader's nine lives would be that lasting. Firestar then noticed a mouse in front of his nest. The scent made Firestar hungry. He ate half of it before turning to Runningnose's nest. The medicine cat was asleep, though lightly.

Runningnose woke up at Firestar's persistent shoving. "Are you ready, Firestar?" the medicine cat asked. Firestar gave him the half eaten mouse. "You finish it. You need your strength." Runningnose said. Firestar knew Runningnose was stubborn. The leader responded, "You need your strength, too. And I am your leader. I say eat." Runningnose mumbled something under his breath before eating the mouse.

Once Runningnose finished, the two set off. The sun wasn't even high in the sky. Before cutting through WindClan territory, Firestar stopped and turned to the barn. Ravenpaw was on the roof of the barn. He gave Firestar a stern nod. Firestar knew Ravenpaw was going to help.

As the two found the WindClan thunderpath tunnel that leads to ShadowClan, an uncomfortable feeling rose in Firestar's belly. Something was terribly wrong. Firestar picked up the pace. "What's going on, Firestar?" Runningnose asked as he tried to keep up. Firestar didn't turn his head, but said, "I don't know. I just had a bad feeling." Runningnose seemed to understand. Firestar suddenly picked up a scent. He couldn't make it out, but he knew it wasn't good.

As the two got closer to camp, the scent was clear. It was ThunderClan raiding the camp. At that point, Firestar was at a full sprint, his unsheathed claws ready to defend his clan. He broke through the camp barrier, attacking the first ThunderClan scented cat he saw. It was Longtail. A bit of shock waved through the pale tabby's eyes, but quickly went away.

Longtail swiped at the new leader. Firestar was ready. He grabbed the long tailed warrior by the scruff of his neck and forcibly pinned him to the ground. This was enough for the warrior to hiss, "Retreat, ThunderClan. Retreat!" Some cats stopped fighting and ran towards the exit of the camp. ShadowClan cats started swiping at the intruders, making them run faster. A cat shoved Firestar to the side. Firestar wasn't surprised to Dustpelt. Russetfur swiped at the ThunderClan warrior, chasing him off.

Firestar looked at the reddish warrior and asked, "what happened?" Russetfur shrugged her shoulders and said, "ThunderClan had come to scare us for territory. I heard an apprentice repeating pretty loudly, 'the more ShadowClan warriors down, the more territory.'" Firestar knew it was most likely Swiftpaw, since he was the one to accidentally tell other clan cats about housing Brokentail when he was alive.

"Send a few warriors out to make sure ThunderClan left our territory." Firestar commanded to Russetfur. "Already on it." Wetfoot said from behind Firestar. "Before you all go," Firestar said while jumping onto Clanrock, "I have a ceremony to perform. I am announcing the new deputy." Firestar could see Runningnose relax a bit.

"I say these words before Nightstar, Blackfoot, and Cinderfur that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of ShadowClan will be Russetfur!" No cat was surprised at Firestar's choice. Even Wetfoot, who was Firestar's second choice, didn't seem bothered. Russetfur turned to her clanmates and said, "I am truly honored to serve this clan and help lead to strengthen this clan. Now. Find any ThunderClan stragglers that may still be out there."

As Wetfoot led the searching patrol left, Firestar couldn't help but noticed two narrowed, blue eyes stare at him in the bushes. As the cat turned, a noticeably long tail followed him. Firestar knew it was Longtail. The leader wondered what Longtail was planning on doing with what he saw, but knew whatever it was, it wasn't good.