Chapter 17

A yowl woke Fireheart up. He looked around in the ShadowClan warriors den. Fireheart seemed to be the last one to get up. It had been a few days since Nightstar let the rogues and him joined ShadowClan. Fireheart sighed. He has been sleeping terribly. The last few nights he stayed in ShadowClan, an uneasy feeling made him feel uncomfortable. He hadn't even seen Nightstar since Fireheart first came.

Fireheart's thoughts were interrupted by another yowl from outside then rustling from the den entrance. The face of Snag peered through and gave shocking news, "Nightstar's dead."

Fireheart sprang from his nest and followed Snag outside. Every ShadowClan warrior and apprentice looked confused and upset. Fireheart heard a cat say, "He has nine lives, he should have come back from now." Another cat behind them said, "He's not coming back. His sickness was too much." Fireheart's stomach turned. Was Nightstar really dead?

Fireheart looked at the leader's den. Runningnose sat in front of Nightstar's den, the gray and white tom's eyes darker than the night sky. Fireheart knew the medicine cat was in no shape to order the cats. The fiery tom looked around. No one was jumping into leadership. Fireheart sighed. What would Bluestar do?

Fear filled the fiery tom. Oh Bluestar. Help me. The familiar scent of Bluestar and Spottedleaf suddenly filled his nose. "You know what to do." Bluestar whispered to him. Fireheart shook. I don't know how. "We will help you." Spottedleaf said, "Now go. Lead this Clan."

Fireheart turned to the elders, suddenly filled with hope. "Bring out Nightstar's body." The elders hesitated. Fireheart felt a bit frustrated. "Your clan leader is dead. Do you want to honor him?" One of the elders nodded and padded towards Runningnose, where the medicine cat let him in.

Fireheart followed the elder and met up with Runningnose. "So you've decided to lead my clan?" the sickly medicine cat spoke. He seemed exhausted and lost the will to help ShadowClan. Fireheart sighed, "I feel like I have no choice. You took care of this clan through Brokentail's leadership and that awful sickness that took Nightstar's lives."

Runningnose quickly whispered, "But Nightstar never-." The medicine cat was interrupted by the elder bringing Nightstar's thin, unmoving body from his den. The elder gave Fireheart a sharp look before continuing to the clearing. Once the elder was out of earshot, Fireheart turned and asked, "Nightstar never what?"

Runningnose looked at his paws. "He never got his nine lives from StarClan." Fireheart was shocked. "Was it because Brokentail was still alive?" the fiery tom asked. Runningnose gave Fireheart a concerned look, "I don't know. Maybe. They weren't clear when we tried getting his lives. And he was too sick to drag him back there." Fireheart nodded, "I understand."

He looked around at ShadowClan. Fireheart continued, "And I assume no one else knows." The medicine cat shook his head. As Fireheart was about to jump onto ShadowClan's highrock, Runningnose quickly spoke, "Fireheart. No one, not even anyone in ShadowClan, must know." Fireheart saw the panic in the medicine cat's eyes. Fireheart knew this could ruin Nightstar's, and maybe even StarClan's, respect. "No worries, Runningnose," Fireheart said "it's safe with me." Runningnose's panicked eyes quickly filled with respect.

"You are a remarkable cat." Runningnose said, "No wonder Bluestar let you join ThunderClan. You are a true warrior at heart, despite your kittypet roots. Good luck to you." Fireheart was surprised at Runningnose's words. The ginger tom could only nod. Fireheart hopped on top of the Clanrock. Nervousness rushed through his pelt. ShadowClan might feel offended if he spoke on the rock. "StarClan," Fireheart prayed aloud, "guide my paws."