Chapter 8

Ravenpaw woke Fireheart up with a few mice in his jaws. Fireheart sat up and grabbed one of them. "So," Ravenpaw said with Barley sitting next to him, "start at the beginning." Fireheart took a mouthful of mouse before starting, "I was out with my apprentice, who is my sister's kit, Cloudpaw, when he scented Brokentail's followers led by then Tigerclaw heading towards ThunderClan's camp. He and I knew this was bad news so we ran back to camp to help fight them off."

Fireheart stopped. He felt sadness and anger fill him. "We were too late. Tigerclaw had already killed Bluestar. I wanted to attack him, but he went out of sight and soon I saw him dragging Brokentail's dead body towards Bluestar's den. I think he did that to make it look like Brokentail killed her."

Fireheart took a big sigh, "afterwards, Tigerclaw pinned a brown and gray she-cat, Tangleburr I think her name was, and killed her before sneering at Blackfoot. I saw Blackfoot physically lose all trust in Tigerclaw as he threw himself full force at the former deputy, seriously injuring Blackfoot."

Fireheart took a second to let Ravenpaw settle. The ginger tom saw the former apprentice shake in fear and anger. The black tom forced himself to calm down before saying, "what happened next?"

Fireheart took in a breath before continuing, "I was one of the cats to follow and chase out the rogues. I saw a cat who I believe was not from ShadowClan but tried to attack me during the fight. I pinned him and he told me Tigerclaw was trying to have me killed. And that's why..."

Fireheart stopped. He couldn't finish. "And that's why you left." Barley said. Fireheart nodded, "with Graystripe's kits, Graystripe, and my apprentice." Fireheart said, "I sent Cloudpaw to live with his mother and Graystripe stayed in RiverClan with his kits."

"Well, what's your plan?" Ravenpaw asked. Cinderfur's prophecy rang in Fireheart's ear as Ravenpaw said that. "I have no clue." Fireheart said. Ravenpaw looked confused, "didn't you go to the Moonstone? Didn't StarClan speak to you?"

"Yes." Fireheart said, "but what they said wasn't exactly clear." Barley laughed. "Well," the black and white loner said, "whatever they said, you will figure it out. But before then, you can stay here. We can always use another cat from time to time."

Fireheart nodded in thanks as he ate his mouse. Once Barley left the barn, Ravenpaw asked, "what did StarClan say to you?" Fireheart finished his mouse and told the tom everything, from Bluestar apologizing to Cinderfur begging to help ShadowClan. "And before I left," Fireheart said, "Cinderfur said to me 'cats you may think as enemies will be your greatest ally. Trust them. They will make the Clan strong.' I don't know what it means."

Ravenpaw seemed strong in thought. "It can't be Tigerstar. There is no way they're talking about him." The black tom fell quiet again for a few heartbeats. "What about Brokentail's rogues? They were our major enemies once." Fireheart thought about it. They were his enemy,and since Tigerstar killed one of them and hurt another. "I think you're right. But I am not fully sure."

Ravenpaw nodded, "be wary if it is true." The black tom stood up and followed Barley's scent. "Oh, Fireheart," Ravenpaw said, "if you are getting Brokentail's rogues to rejoin ShadowClan, warn Tallstar. He might not trust you if you bring back those rogues without warning."