Chapter 24

Fireheart quickly made his way to the Thunderpath. The sky was dark from ash and soot. Fireheart didn't care. He turned behind him. No ShadowClan cat seemed to follow him. Fireheart sighed. He knew no ShadowClan cat cared for ThunderClan.

Fireheart quickly cross the border, staying as stealthy as possible. He knew it was going to be hard to see, so Fireheart closed his eyes and retraced his steps to ThunderClan. Once he got to the ThunderClan camp, fire seemed to almost surround it. In the distance, on a burning tree, Fireheart could see Bramblekit, Tigerstar's son.

Not far from the tree, Longtail and Goldenflower frantically searched. Fireheart made himself known. Longtail unsheathed his claws at the sight of the fiery tom, but Goldenflower pushed him away. Fireheart quickly touched noses with the queen before jumping onto the tree to grab Bramblekit.

Fireheart could see in the corner of his eye Longtail grabbing Halftail from the elder's den. Goldenflower seemed to hold another cat, probably Patchpelt. As Fireheart grabbed Bramblekit, a sudden crack filled the air. Fireheart jumped down the tree with Bramblekit in his jaws and gave him to his mother.

Fireheart looked up and saw a flaming branch, just above the elder's den. Longtail didn't seem to notice. Another sound of the cracking tree made Longtail flinch and look up. Fireheart was quick to grab Longtail as the branch fell. The flaming branch barely missed Longtail. The pale tabby was shocked by how close he was to being trapped to a fiery death.

Longtail took the lead as Goldenflower grabbed her kit and Fireheart dragged Patchpelt. As Fireheart realized Longtail led the cats to Sunningrocks, scared murmurs could be heard. Happy murmur seemed to fill the air as Longtail and Goldenflower went through the brush. Fireheart sighed as he went through the bushes.

A sudden shocked went around as Fireheart showed himself, dragging Patchpelt. Cinderpelt was the first to greet the fiery tom. Fireheart felt happy to see his former apprentice. He looked around at the other cats. Tigerstar laid on the sandy beach with burn marks and breathing shallow. Yellowfang sat next to him, looking worried.

"He inhaled a lot of smoke." Cinderpelt said, "He went after Speckletail and her kits as the fire hit. A branch fell on him." Fireheart nodded. He turned and padded towards Yellowfang. He sat beside her and licked her cheek. Yellowfang seemed surprised to see Fireheart. Her surprise quickly left as she stood up. "Let me know if anything changes."

Fireheart looked at Tigerstar's burnt body. Fireheart knew Tigerstar couldn't hurt him in this state. "What do you want, Fireheart?" Tigerstar asked. "Do you want to kill me with a clan like this?" This question was followed by a cough. Fireheart knew he couldn't hurt Tigerstar like this, so he said, "I don't know why StarClan let you be leader or gave you nine lives, but I want nothing except to help ThunderClan."

As he said that, Fireheart spotted a patrol of RiverClan swimming across the river. The patrol consisted of Mistyfoot, Leopardfur, Stonefur, Shadepelt and an apprentice Fireheart didn't know. Fireheart quickly touched noses with Mistyfoot. "Help them get across." Fireheart said to the RiverClan patrol. Stonefur nodded and waved his tail ro a waiting patrol across the river. Fireheart could see Graystripe leading another patrol across the river.

Fireheart turned to Longtail. "Get the injured, queens and their kits, and elders to wait at the river." Longtail quickly followed his order as the many ThunderClan lives depended on it. Fireheart ran to Graystripe as the gray tom made it across. "How did you manage to convince RiverClan to help?"

Graystripe nodded, "It wasn't me. Once smoke filled the air, Graypool spoke up first." Before Fireheart could respond, Longtail came into view. "Patchpelt's dead." Fireheart felt pity. He remembered so much from the elder. He had so many stories to tell. Fireheart briefly said his goodbye to the elder before helping cats across.

By now, Tigerstar was strong enough to stand and lead his clan. Fireheart was more than happy to let ThunderClan's leader lead. The dark tabby, once done ordering cats to follow RiverClan, turned to Fireheart. "Don't you have somewhere to be?" Fireheart went and faced Tigerstar. "I want to see them safe first. Then, I will stay out of your fur. For now."

Tigerstar narrowed his eyes. The dark tabby knew Fireheart knew his dirty secret. The leader turned and followed his clanmates. Fireheart went over to Patchpelt's limp body. Graystripe sat next to the fiery tom. "Let's bring him over." the gray tom said. Fireheart nodded and grabbed the elder's body. Graystripe followed and grabbed the other end. Together, they dragged the elder across the river.

As Graystripe and some ThunderClan cats prepared for Patchpelt's vigil, Fireheart looked across the river. The fire could be seen blazing through the forest. A raindrop dripped on Fireheart. A storm was coming. Fireheart sighed as the rain fell. A feeling of dread filled him as he looked at his former clanmates. What is he to do to help them?