Chapter 30

The full moon rose over Firestar and his cats as they found themselves at the Gathering. RiverClan and WindClan had beaten ShadowClan to Fourtrees. Ravenpaw was spotted behind Graystripe and the rest of RiverClan, swiftly hidden behind the bushes. WindClan was not far behind ShadowClan. Firestar looked at all of his cats. Rowanpaw, the newest apprentice of ShadowClan sat next to his mentor, Jaggedtooth, in nervousness. Cedarfur and Oakfur, both new warriors stood proudly as they bragged to other apprentices of their new warrior statuses.

Firestar jumped onto Highrock with Crookedstar. Tallstar followed Firestar. "So," the black and white leader started saying, "ShadowClan leader?" Firestar nodded, wondering what was taking ThunderClan so long. "Congratulations, Firestar," Crookedstar stated. Firestar responded, "Thanks. I hope I lead ShadowClan as well as both of you." Crookedstar nodded and Tallstar murmured something under his breath.

Suddenly, ThunderClan burst through. Tigerstar jumped onto Highrock and started the Gathering with a yowl. Firestar was surprised on how rushed Tigerstar seemed. Tallstar seemed to notice too, because he asked the dark tabby, "Why so rushed, Tigerstar?" Tigerstar looked at Tallstar and said, "I have a special announcement for every cat to hear." Tallstar nodded and stepped back, letting Tigerstar step forward.

"Cats of all clans," Tigerstar announced, "I have a special proposition for all of you. Clan life is starting to become rough. We need food and shelter. I say we join clans as one, no threats of each other, just the elements. Every cat will be safe and out of harm." Every cat was stunned. Firestar looked at all the cats. He laid his eyes on Ravenpaw. The black tom looked at Firestar in utter shock.

"Now what do you say?" Tigerstar turned to the other leaders. Tallstar sneered, "We are four clans. Not one. Why do you think there are four trees surrounding the Gathering place? Clearly, StarClan will be upset." Tigerstar looked at Crookedstar. The light tabby hissed at Tigerstar, "I agree with Tallstar. We are four not one. Who gives you the right to say such things?"

Firestar stayed quiet. He looked at all the gathered cats. Many sneered at Tigerstar's request. Some cats, though, seemed to want to follow Tigerstar. "So, Firestar," Tigerstar said almost mockingly, "you probably can't make such decisions, since you've never led before."

Firestar turned to Tigerstar and hissed, "How dare you mock my leadership, when we should be questioning yours." Tigerstar seemed lost for words. Many cats seemed confused. Firestar took this time and stepped forward. "Cats of all clans," Firestar said confidentiality, "you do not have to believe what I am telling you, but trust me, what I say is true." Some cats started to murmur.

"Many moons ago, the day I joined ThunderClan, Tigerstar, then Tigerclaw, Bluestar's former deputy Redtail, and Tigerstar's former apprentice Ravenpaw went by Sunningrocks. A RiverClan patrol seemed to attack, so Tigerstar sent Ravenpaw to get warriors. He did this purposely to get Redtail and him alone. Redtail fought Oakheart, accidentally falling into a rockslide. This killed Oakheart, but not Redtail. Tigerstar took this opportunity to corner Redtail. Ravenpaw watched Tigerstar kill Redtail and blame his death on Oakheart."

Cats seemed shocked. Dustpelt, who was in the ThunderClan gathering patrol, hissed, "How would Ravenpaw tell you all this if he's dead?" Firestar twitched his tail. Ravenpaw stepped into the clearing, shocking ThunderClan, Tigerstar most of all. Ravenpaw glared at Tigerstar before saying to the gathered cats, "Tigerstar is not a good cat. He killed Redtail to become deputy himself. He knew I saw him kill Redtail and tried to kill me by sending me to Snakerocks and ShadowClan territory. I was so scared for my life, Firestar and Graystripe sent me away for my safety, claiming my death. I am no traitor by any fault."

Ravenpaw turned to Firestar. The ShadowClan leader gave him permission to leave. Graystripe made sure to guard Ravenpaw on his way back to Barley's farm. Once the loner was out of sight, Firestar continued, "Once Tigerstar became deputy, after Lionheart's death, he plotted to kill Bluestar. First, he tried to get her run over by a monster near the Thunderpath. However, Bluestar was too sick to leave her den. My former apprentice, Cinderpelt, decided to go instead. That is how she crippled her leg."

Cats roared in fury. Cinderpelt was well like amongst the clans, so this was a surprise. Firestar signaled his tail for silence before continuing, "Tigerstar tried again. He used Brokentail's rogues to attack our camp as a distraction so he can go for Bluestar himself. This time, he succeeded. Bluestar died under Tigerstar's claws and framed Brokentail as her murderer. Then, he told the rogues who ever could kill me will be his new deputy."

Nightwhisper, one of the former rogues in ShadowClan, spoke up, "What Firestar is saying is true. And if Tigerstar didn't kill Tangleburr, one of us would have at least tried." ShadowClan was now agitated. Now that they found out one of their old clanmates died under Tigerstar, they were mad. Firestar managed to calm his cats before saying, "after I heard that news, I left with my apprentice, my sister's kit, with Graystripe and his kits for our own safety."

By now, cats were hissing at Tigerstar. Tigerstar's followers began to defend the leader profusely. Tigerstar yowled for every cat's attention. "I don't care if you believe this poor excuse of a leader," Tigerstar said, "but my proposition still stands. Cats who want to join me shall be welcomed. Those who won't will parish. Choose wisely."

Crookedstar was the first to say, "Bo cat has any right to follow you. You don't deserve to lead a clan of your own. Now, stay off RiverClan territory or we will make you." Tigerstar laughed and said, "I have plenty of right to lead my clan, and the rest of yours. Watch you back, Crookedstar. Your clan will fall." Tigerstar signaled his tail for ThunderClan to follow. They did, though some were hesitant.

Firestar caught the eye of Sandstorm. She looked at Firestar in sorrow before following her clanmates. Firestar sighed. He knew any cat that he was friends with will be at huge risk. Firestar prayed to StarClan that they will be safe.