✓Ruby x Kanan

Requested by: Grandmillinor

im actually alive

The night was still young, and so were the two girls.

The breeze that night was cold, freezing even. The waters were calm, the stars shone very timidly, leaving the sky to look like a black canvas with white splatters.

The environment was calm. But Kanan wasn't.

She loved the sea, adored it even. But the reason she stood before it was not something she was excited about.

Moreover, she didn't even know why she was there.

'meet me by the shore at 7 tonight' -Ruby

That was the only thing she knew. But her heart seemed to have predictions, for it was beating like a jackhammer, as if asking to break out of Kanan's chest.

Not long after Kanan had arrived, soft patters of shoes against the sand alerted her.

"Ruby-chan?" She turns around, met with that brightly colored hair she loved to thread her fingers through and those light eyes that seemed to reflect the scarce light the stars could only hope to provide.

She looked beautiful.

"You called me here?" Kanan took a hesitant step. Seeing no particular resistance from the younger Kurosawa, she walks closer til they were able to hear the other's whispers.

"I did..." Ruby muttered softly in that soft tone that melts Kanan's heart. It was so innocent and vulnerable, yet so emotional and fulfilling. A terrifying combo really.

Kanan had seen a variety of beautiful things but Ruby was a unique one. So unique that Kanan couldn't help but voice it out.

With an extended arm to stroke Ruby's hair, Kanan speaks softly.

"You look beau--"

"I think we should stop this Kanan-san."

Pardon? Kanan's hand freezes, a mere inch away from the soft hair she wanted to comb her fingers through. A mere inch from the girl she loved so much.

But that inch would now become a world. They would now be a world apart.

"We can't keep doing this anymore...." Ruby's breathing shakes, just as her voice does. Tears are forming within the corners of her eyes.

"...we can't fall in love any deeper Kanan-san." Ruby turns, not bothering to show her face to Kanan. Her brokenness from her own words. Her tear stained cheeks.

Her.

Now, Kanan was left alone on that shore, looking into the distance. The star light somehow became brighter.

Brighter due to her tears.

saddest attempt at angst i have ever attempted