Chapter 17🥀

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY" we scream while Rachel turns on the lights as soon as the door opens.

Michel throws the confetti and I turn on the music.

"Uh... What?" A familiar voice says I look up from my phone to see Darren is standing at the doorway.

"Darren?!" Rachel sounds shocked to see him and so am I.

"Hey... what's with the confetti and... all that?" He looks around the room staring at the decorations we put up. I stare at him, his face, his body, his clothes, everything has changed. He looks so alien to me.

"It's Alex's birthday, we thought you were her. can you please go she should be here any second." I tell him.

"Are you guys ok?" Michel asks looking at me. What is he talking about? Darren and I?

"Michel, What are you talking about? We broke up. About 6 months ago." Closer to seven but who counts?

"Oh.." he looks guilty. "Sorry" he apologizes.

"Michel it's ok. you don't need to apologize. You had nothing to do this. I just want him to leave." I say now looking at Darren.

"Lili, come on." He says exhausted "Please let's just talk. Ok? Just talk to me." I stare at him thinking about a reply but before I can even think about it the words just slip out of my mouth.

"I have a boyfriend" I snap. My face turns red, and I look at the floor, ashamed. knowing damn well it was a mistake to say that aloud." Just please let it go. I do not want to talk to you. Alex needs to show up here any second now. Can you please leave?" I say finally lifting my face to his.

"What?" Everyone looks at me "who?" Darren's face turns white and he just stands at the doorway with his face frozen, looking like he is about to break into tears.

I look at Rachel, then at Maya and Ben. Maya is watching me with her eyes wide. Jeremy is just standing next to Michel watching me. What am I going to do?

My eyes wander around the room again and I know I'm about to cry. My head hurts as well as my nose. I know I'm about to burst into tears. I can feel it. Everyone looking at me, everything that happened with Shawn. Darren standing here. It's just too much. I can't take it.

Before the tears stream down, Michel's and I's eyes meet and an idea pops into my mind. Oh, I hope this will work. "Trust me" I whisper.

I walk over to him, looking into his eyes taking a deep breath before leaning in kissing Michel. Michel seems surprised at first but then he kisses me back.

I take a step back and Michel and I are just looking at each other. I wanted to kiss Michel for a really long time, never in my life, I imagined this will be the circumstance. I thought about it a lot. About how a kiss with Michel will feel like. I imagined sparks and fireworks, like I have whenever I kiss Shawn. But that's the point, It happens when I kiss Shawn. And with Michel, it felt like... nothing. And I don't know if I'm happy or disappointed.

"What the—" I jump at the sounds of the familiar voice and turn around looking at the door.. behind Darren I see an unhappy-looking Alex.

"Fuck" I take a deep breath walking closer to the door. "Alex. This is not what it looks like." Oh my god. How did everything get out of control so fast? We were supposed to have a nice afternoon, partying with music and drinks, until Darren came and ruined everything. She stares at me holding her tears in. oh fuck.

I feel like such a shitty friend. I just wanted to make her happy on her birthday after everything that happened we could all use a really chill night. Fuck this. she walks past me straight to the table with all the drinks taking a beer.