Chapter ten: Scar's point of view

Scar lay in the cave, crying over his mother, and how he had to live life as a rogue. He never meant for this to happen, how had things gone so wrong???

He had been so mean to Mufasa, his brother had only tried to help him. If he would go back to the pridelands now, it may not be too late. He would finally be happy to be the prince of the pridelands. But no, Scar couldn't bring himself to go back. He didn't deserve to be prince. He didn't deserve to be the brother of king Mufasa. He should just forget about his life as the prince and live in the outlands.

Scar was jerked out of his thoughts at seeing something floating in the calm waters of the stream that connected to the great river. What he saw terrified him. A lioness cub was floating, a stripe on top of her head and a nick in her ear. Zira. Scar ran out of the cave where he had stayed for the night and over to the stream. Zira was floating lifelessly in the middle, where Scar couldn't touch. But he didn't care. He jumped in, paddling as Zira had taught him, making his way towards her. Eventually, he made it to his friend and grabbed her by the scruff. The rapids pulled at his fur, trying to take Zira from him, trying to drag them both downstream, but Scar was stronger that the current. He paddled with all his might, pulling Zira back to shore. It seemed to take forever, but Scar made it back to land and pulled Zira out. Her eyes were closed, but she started coughing up water, her small body so weak it took all her strength to sit up. She slowly opened her eyes.

"Mabaya?" She squeaked, her throat still full of water. Scar shook his head. Her brother wasn't there. He hadn't seen him. "Taka?" Zira asked. The word struck Scar like a knife.

"No, Zira." He said. "My name is no longer Taka. My name is Scar."

"Mabaya," she said again as it started to rain. "Where's my brother?" Scar shook his head again.

"I didn't see your brother, Zira. You were the only one that I saw, and the only one that I rescued."

"No," she started, trying to stand up and walk towards the stream. "No, Mabaya has to be here. I've gotta get him!!!" She tried to wade in again, but wasn't strong enough to paddle. She started to go under again, but Scar quickly yanked her out by her scruff again, keeping a firm grip on her despite her protests and struggles. Eventually, she just broke down and started crying. Scar let her go gently, both of them soaked from the rain. Zira turned to Scar, and he put his paw around her, allowing her to cry.

"I'm sorry, Zira. I'm sorry."

"I can't. I just can't go home now, Scar. My father. He'll train me as hard as he can. He's all I have left, I'm all he has left."

"What?" Scar asked. "What about your mother? What about Almasi?"

"The...the mudslide yesterday." Zira cried. "They died in the mudslide yesterday. And...and it's all my fault!!!"

"How is that your fault, Zira? Did you cause the mudslide?"

"No, but if I had been there, I could've helped them. It's all my fault!!!" She wailed again. "I can't let Mabaya die because of me!!! I have to go get him!!!" She tried once again to go back into the water, sinking back down, and Scar grabbed her again.

"Zira, stop it. You're gonna get yourself killed. I'm sorry, but I think your brother's gone." He put his paw around her and tried to comfort her. "Come on," he said, leading her away from the stream. "Let's go get you warmed up."

Reluctantly, Zira followed Scar back to the cave, her memories of her brother setting a sinking feeling inside her. Because of her, Huduma was gone. Because of her, Almasi was gone. Because of her, Mabaya was gone.

(Hey guys, so this story ain't over yet, but I want you guys to read what I've got so far rather than wait until I'm done with the whole thing. I hope you like this, and I've got some pretty good ideas with how to carry on with this story. But if you wanna see something happen in this story, recommend it to me, I'd love to hear your all's ideas. Also, if you want more backstories for characters, let me know!!! Even though this is my first wattpad backstory, I have a lot of other backstories in mind, so let me know which character to post about next!!! Anyways, I hope you're enjoying the story so far, and I'll keep updating whenever I have the time.)