Chapter twenty two: Zira's point of view

Zira went back into the cave, Nuka waiting for her. Becoming aquatinted with Vitani, he was overjoyed to have a sister. Vitani seemed to take an instant liking to Nuka. Zira was glad. Although Nuka may not have inherited his father's brains, and although he may not make the best king, Zira couldn't help but adore the way he treated Vitani.

Scar came into the cave later, a ball of fluff in his mouth. He gently placed it down into Zira's paws beside Vitani, explaining that he was a rogue cub. Kinga had finished off his mother and nearly him on her way out. She had bitten his leg and scraped his back before Scar had chased her away. Vitani started snuggling into him, licking him as he woke up. Zira could tell that the injuries would heal, and that he would be on his feet again. But as he had nowhere to go, Zira happily accepted him as another son.

It was a few weeks before Scar knew he had to make a desicion. He knew that Nuka wasn't strong or smart enough to be king, so the choices were their son, whom they had named Kovu, or Vitani. Vitani was obviously smart enough, but Scar felt as though she couldn't rule as she would have to eventually give up her power to a mate, who would become king. Kovu seemed to be their best bet to turn their reign into a legacy, so it was decided that Kovu would rule when Scar's time was done.

Nuka was appalled

Nuka was appalled. Angered at his father's desicion of Kovu over him, he despised his younger brother. Vitani, however, took an instant liking to Kovu, leading to Nuka's not liking of her.

Sarafina's daughter, Nala, knew that the pridelands were getting worse. After her brother had been attacked, his body mysteriously disappeared that night, although the other lions were still there. Nala tried to confront Scar about the problems with the hyenas, but he wouldn't listen. Her only hope was to find help elsewhere. So one night, while everyone was sleeping, Nala snuck away into the dark night.

The pridelands continued to die, Zira tried talking to Scar herself.

"Scar,you really must do something about the hyenas. They're destroying the pridelands."

"All they're doing is living as they've always wanted to." He answered.

"Shenzi even came to me yesterday, telling me there wasn't anything to eat. They're starving, Scar. The hyenas have eaten too much, we're being forced to overhunt!!!"

"Nonsense, you're just not looking hard enough."

"Scar, please. We can still save the pridelands. If not, we'll all starve. Think about your pride!!! Think about your children!!! They keep coming to me, asking me if I can fill their bellies. Nuka, Vitani, and Kovu don't get to eat until the hyenas are done, Scar!!! And even then, we still have to leave enough food for the rest of the pride!!!"

"Honestly, Zira, I can't see what the problem is. We just need to find a new source of food."

"Scar, it's not that easy."

"Go searching beyond the outlands. There should be plenty of food there."

"Scar, not only would that be too far away to hunt, kill, and then bring the food back, but there are also lions out there, we're not allowed to disturb them."

"Well then-" but Scar stopped cold and closed his mouth. Zira had won the argument. Scar hung his head. "Very well, Zira. If it worries you and the cubs this much, then I'll talk to Sarabi about it."

"Thank you, Scar." Zira said, then walked back into the cave. "I hope I can trust you to keep this promise."