Chapter thirty-one: Zira's point of view

Zira walked angrily around the cave. She still couldn't believe it. She and her small pride had been staying here for three months, and she still refused to accept the fact that she was banished. How was she expected to raise her children here? This place was in even worse shape than it had been in the pridelands before Simba returned.

She still didn't know what had come over her. She couldn't help but feel the slightest bit sorry for Simba and Nala despite her anger and hatred towards them. If Simba had killed Vitani because he was afraid that she would take Kopa from him, she could imagine how she would feel having lost a cub, who had just begun to live. She felt the guilt every time she looked at Vitani. Her daughter was afraid of her. She never wanted to be in the same room as her for longer than she had to. Zira growled at herself. Why had she attacked Kopa? Why had she let her anger get the best of her...why was she acting as her father would?

Out of nowhere, a shriek filled the silence in a massive echo. A cry for help. You could hear a thundering of feet as well. Zira raced to the mouth of the cave, looking to the gorge. A cloud of dust filled up the massive space. Zira noticed two small figures running ahead of the dust. Someone was in trouble.

Not thinking of her punishment for possibly going back into the pridelands, Zira left her cave and dashed towards the gorge. She soon saw a bird fly close to her.

"Please, help!! It's Shenzi and Ban-" Zazu. But then he saw the lion whom he was talking to and squawked with fear.

"Zazu, you don't have time to bicker with me!!!" Zira exclaimed. "What's going on???"

Reluctantly, but also frantically, Zazu stammered. "It's Shenzi and Banzai!!! Their pups, Janja and Jasiri, were playing in the gorge, when all of a sudden, a pack of angry rhinos came barreling towards them!!! I tried to get their parents, but now the rhinos are chasing them!!! Janja's at the top, but Jasiri's slipping!!! I'm worried that she'll fall even with his help!!!"

"Get more help." Zira instructed. "I'm going to try to help Jasiri make it to the top."

"I hope you'll remain true to your word, Zira." Zazu said, giving her a sort of nasty look before he flew off. Knowing it was risky, Zira was determined to save her friend's pups. She dashed into the gorge, running along with the rhinos.

They looked like giants to her, closing in on her, their rough skin brushing against her fur. But still, she ran, looking for Janja and Jasiri.

She eventually spotted them, Janja was on top of a ledge, using all his might to try and pull Jasiri up to safety, but she had no support on her hind legs to push herself up. Zira ran and jumped and crawled through the rhinos, trying to get to them.

As soon as Jasiri looked down and saw Zira, she whimpered with fear in her eyes

As soon as Jasiri looked down and saw Zira, she whimpered with fear in her eyes. She knew she was about to fall. She was asking Zira for help. Zira tried to steady herself as she got up on her hind legs, pushing her front paws against the rock to keep her position. She began to extend her back legs higher and managed to reach Jasiri. Digging her claws into the rock, she pushed herself up, pushing Jasiri towards Janja in the process. Slowly but surely, Jasiri got closer to her brother with each small push. Zira finally got her up onto the ledge safely when one of her paws slipped. She was swept away from the pups, back into the stampede.

"NO!!!!" Jasiri howled, but Janja kept her from jumping back in after Zira.

Zira plummeted towards the ground, not a huge fall, but the rhinos stampeding around her made it harder for her to stand up without being trampled to death. She then remembered: Shenzi and Banzai. They were still in trouble.

She jumped to her feet, weaving through the rhinos' legs. Dust was everywhere, filling her lungs and making her eyes water. But still, Zira pressed on.

After what seemed to take forever, Zira made it to the front of the herd. She saw Shenzi and Banzai. They were getting tired. They were slowing down. She could tell that they wouldn't be able to make it if she didn't do something.

But then, her legs gave way beneath her. The pain of the impact with the ground had come too late. All she could do was lay there in pain and watch the dust. She heard Shenzi howl once. Another howl followed. Banzai. Then, the dust began to settle.

Zira began to come to her senses when she heard a whimpering. She opened her eyes. For a moment, all she could see was dust. It burned her eyes, a pain through her whole body making itself present. Once the dust flew out of her eyes, she saw Jasiri right next to her. Her ears were down. She had been crying. Though it caused her pain, Zira slowly got up, and hobbled over to Shenzi and Banzai. Shenzi reminded Zira of Kinga. Her body was lined with numerous scars as her mother's had been, her bangs hanging in her eyes. Banzai lay next to her, bruises lining his pelt. Neither of them were breathing. Zira hung her head. She was too late.

She turned around. Giving one last look at Janja and Jasiri, she whispered two short words.

"Get Zazu."

Huduma was gone. Almasi was gone. Mabaya was gone. Upendo was gone. Sarafina was gone. Mheetu was gone. Scar was gone. Kopa was gone. Shenzi was gone. Banzai was gone.

And it was all her fault.