Chapter thirty-five: Zira's point of view

Zira layed on one of the rocks surrounding the water hole. It was nice to finally have a break from wandering into the pridelands to get a drink from their watering hole. Why hadn't she thought of this months ago?

When she and her family stumbled upon this watering hole, they were honestly all looking for Hatari. The dark princess had scampered off while they were all asleep, and they were determined to find her. While they were looking around the outlands, they came upon a watering hole next to a small spring. Currently, a group of hyenas were occupying it, one Zira recognised as Jasiri, Shenzi and Banzai's oldest daughter. She soon also recognised Shida, Jasiri's younger sister. They had found a small pack to belong to. While Zira was happy that they were out of harm's way, she knew that she as Scar's ex-mate wouldn't be welcomed by them, because of the cruel things that her mate had done.

Kovu, however, decided to take the easy way first

Kovu, however, decided to take the easy way first. He scampered right up to Jasiri. "Hi!!!" He said, cheerfully. "My name's Kovu. My family and I have been wandering looking for my sister. We're thirsty, and usually have to go to the pridelands for water. Do you mind if we use this waterhole?" For a moment, Zira felt like a proud mother. Kovu acted just as she would have when she was a cub. It honestly looked like Jasiri would say yes, when an older female hyena butted in front of her.

"I dunno, aren't you lions supposed to be against hyenas?" She looked as if she was judging Kovu for being a lion, which Zira didn't like.

"Madoa, please calm down. Remember, not all lions are bad. Kion helped me last week." Jasiri pleaded.

The older hyena, Madoa, looked as if she was contemplating Jasiri's words.

"But I must remind you, Jasiri, what lions did to your parents? Years of abuse and neglect." Jasiri opened her mouth to object, but Madoa interrupted. "And let's not forget that lioness from the stampede. She just let your parents die like that." Madoa stood her ground in front of Jasiri, almost as if protecting her.

Now it seemed as if Jasiri was becoming angry. "She couldn't save my parents because she saved me and..." She paused before finishing with, "my brother." Zira noticed that she hadn't seen Janja anywhere since this discussion began. She couldn't help but wonder where he was.

"That still doesn't forgive what lions have done to our kind." Madoa said, snarling at Kovu. "Get out of here. Find your own water hole. Find one where lions are welcome."

"Madoa," Jasiri began to get desperate. "Please, don't be so harsh. He's a cub. Let him and his family at least take one drink from the watering hole. If you don't want to share, at least let them have one drink. Can't you see they're thirsty?"

"They can have all the water they want in the pridelands. This is hyena territory. I have the right to tell them to get lost." Madoa shot back. She then turned and growled at Kovu.

Jasiri looked afraid, almost, and turned to Zira. "I'm terribly sorry. She doesn't know that some lions can be good. She's only afraid. She really means no harm." At this point, Shida had gotten curious about the argument, and popped her small head in-between Jasiri's front legs. Recognising Zira from when she and her siblings had lived in the pridelands, she cheerfully scampered away from Jasiri and over to Zira and the others. Zira knew to be careful as Shida scampered closer; she was merely a pup after all. Shida made it to Zira's paw just before Madoa reached out and clamped down on Shida, taking her by her scruff away from Zira and the others. Shida began to whimper as Madoa set her down.

"Now look!!!" Madoa growled. "You're scaring the pups. How many times must I say it? Get lost!!!"

"Madoa, please." Jasiri began to whimper herself. "Can't we all just get along? Shida's not usually this friendly, not even to other hyenas. She was only whimpering because you took her before she could get acquainted."

"Sure..." Madoa said. "And I'm the peacemaker of the pridelands." She turned back to the lions. "I'll give you one last chance to beat it."

"I'm sorry it had to come to this." Zira said, bearing her own teeth by now. "But we're not going anywhere. I've had to take my children to the pridelands each time they need water. We aren't welcome there. We're outsiders. The hyena pup Jasiri has tried to give you chances to let us have a drink here more times than I can count by now. If you won't let us have water willingly, I suppose I'll make us have it by force." When the last word escaped her lips, Zira noticed that Jasiri's ears instantly went down. She was scared.

After that, Zira threatened them. Although she couldn't bring herself to hurt them, she sure looked as if she would. The hyenas ran away, barking. To be honest, Zira wished that she could have come to a compromise with the hyenas. But she wouldn't just roll over and let Madoa walk all over her. She knew that she needed to stand her ground.

Madoa had honestly been looking at Jasiri with anger as Zira and the others forced the hyenas out, almost as if she was trying to say, I told you so.