Chapter eighteen: Sarafina's point of view

(another short chapter, sorry)

Sarafina followed Mufasa and Ujasiri, out of the cave and down pride rock. Out into the grasslands, past the gorge and through the savanna. She followed them almost to the border of the outlands. But then, Ujasiri stopped. He looked back at Mufasa and Sarafina before nodding towards a dirty red and brown lump on the ground. Gasping, Sarafina slowly walked up to it, seeing her mate, his shaggy brown mane covering his eyes, dried blood caked around his neck and ribs. He was limp, no breath coming out of him. Sarafina hung her head, lying down beside him for what only seemed like a few minutes...but when the sun started to set, Sarafina knew that she had to leave Upendo and go back to pride rock.

She followed the two lions back to the pridelands, the journey back so silent that you could hear the crickets.

Once they got back to the cave, Sarafina layed down, Sarabi laying down beside her to try and comfort her. Sarafina's head was resting on her paws, her ears down and tears running down her face.

While they were gone, Zira had started to recover and was walking around. She layed on the other side of Sarafina, putting her paw on hers and trying to comfort her.

"What am I supposed to do???" Sarafina sniffled. "Upendo's gone, Nala's hurt, and..." She looked down at her stomach, wincing as she did so.

Sarabi's eyes grew wide. "Sarafina..." She asked, as Zira sat there gaping. "Are...are you with cub again???" Sarafina nodded.

"And I don't know what I'm supposed to do." She said. "I can't raise my daughter and this cub on my own...I just don't know where to turn."

"You don't have to." Sarabi said, smiling and placing her paw on Sarafina's other paw. "We'll help you. No one said that you had to go through this alone." Zira nodded.

Sarafina looked at both of her friends, tears still running down her face. "You...you guys would do that for me?"

"We would go through fire for you, Sarafina." Zira assured. "We'll help you when this cub comes, and we'll also keep Nala out of trouble. You don't have to worry about anything."

Sarafina smiled. "Thank you both so much..." She looked back down at her stomach. "I just hope I'm prepared for this."