Chapter 1

This is my own fanfiction. I don't own the characters. All rights go to the creators of Once Upon a Time, Disney, and ABC.

My life is about to change; for better or for worse, I just know it.

Emma Swan rolls over in bed, squinting into the bright sunlight. The sounds of Boston, Massachusetts roll below her, providing an unwelcome wake-up call. She had been up half the night and wasn't ready for the sun just yet. She places a pillow over her head and attempts to go back to sleep. The clock reads that it's after 8 and she pulls the blankets up to cover her body.

"Good morning Love,"

Emma rolls over to see Killian standing at the doorway with cups of coffee in his hands. His hypnotic blue eyes beam down at her and his dark messed up hair, falling softly around his forehead. He has a neatly trimmed beard around his smiling face. He stands in his boxer shorts, showing his 4-pack stomach, something that made his companion's heart race. Emma smiles widely and throws off the pillow to welcome him into her bed. The handsome man hands her a steaming mug before climbing into bed with her.

"I was going to make hot chocolate the way you like it, but you're all out," he says gently.

"Yeah, Henry and I used it up last week, I've been meaning to buy some more," Emma says as she takes a sip from her mug. "It's not easy being a mother of a teenager."

"Aye," Killian says. "But it's nice for you to have a night off."

"Was it really a night?" Emma smirks. "It was more like a weekend."

"I'd call it two nights," Killian grins. "Two amazing nights..." He leans forward to kiss her.

Emma can't help but smile. Last night had been a long time coming. She and Killian had started seeing each other only months before, taking the time to get to know one another before taking things to the next level. Both were recovering from intense losses, Killian lost his last girlfriend to cancer and Emma's fiancé, ex-fiancé, and the father of her son, Henry, had upped and left her with little explanation. Both had suffered great heartbreak and found solace in one another, Killian sitting in a bar, drinking his depression away when Emma walked in. She was actually working at the time they met, trying to hunt down a person who had skipped their bail after being arrested for several thefts. She was walking around the seedier side of town, trying to dig up some leads and she ended up asking him for information. He was a docks man, working in the harbor to make ends meet and at the time, mourning the loss of his beloved Milah, who had succumbed to lung cancer a few months previous. He thought the docks would always make him feel close to his family and brother, all of whom were gone now. Killian had seen a suspicious man hanging around and offered to help Emma look for him. He had never seen a woman so beautiful, with her lively, but determined green eyes and long blonde hair pulled back to keep her focused. Emma had refused to allow him to come along due to the dangers, but Killian was stubborn and insisted.

The two did end up catching the man, with Killian tackling the man after the perpetrator had drawn a gun on Emma. Emma told Killian to hide as she was the armed one and was confronting the man. The two fought until the escapee got a hold of Emma's gun and it was then the docks man attacked, taking him down and saving Emma's life.

Emma had insisted she buy Killian a drink after the arrest was made, for saving her life and they hit it off. Killian was quite handsome and Emma couldn't keep her eyes from him. The feeling was quite mutual. The two talked until the bars closed and Killian asked for her number.

She was, of course, reluctant to give it, since her trust had been severely shaken after Neal, her fiancé had run off, but she did end up giving it to him. She had been with Neal for sixteen years, mostly due to her giving birth to their son, Henry Swan-Cassidy, after a year of dating when she was sixteen. They had loved one another and stayed together for their son, happily cohabitating, no plans to get married, but things began to deteriorate after Henry turned ten. Neal became very distant, mostly due to the death of his mother and his father re-marrying a much younger woman. He accused his father of moving on too quickly and Neal was never the same afterward. Emma, who had been in the foster system most of her life, couldn't fully understand his pain of loss and this was one of the nails in the coffin of their relationship. Neal had asked Emma to marry him and she thought it would be a new start for them, but he started staying out late, working late and became extremely aloof. This added more strain to their relationship and fights broke out more and more, Emma accusing him of neglecting time with Henry and infidelity. Then one night, when Henry was almost thirteen, after picking him up from a swim meet, she found most of the apartment cleaned out and note saying Neal had had enough.