Chapter 40

"How are the children?" David asks one of the officers in Connecticut.

"They're fine," the officer says. "Maybe they've had a little too much junk food, but other than that, they're healthy and unaware of what their father was doing."

"And still no sign of Miss Swan?"

"Not at the moment Lieutenant, all the road checks so far have turned up nothing."

David's heart sinks to his stomach and he does his best not to cry then and there. He should've known better than to assume that Arthur King would not release Emma, especially since she had not served her alleged purpose yet. One would assume that since Gwendolyn most likely wanted a divorce by now and take their children from him, Emma would be of little use to him. At the same time, Emma was most likely a form of sexual thrill for this monstrous man. On the run from the law and holding someone hostage gave some twisted amount of pleasure and excitement. David would need a psychologist to fully diagnose the man's condition, but from what he's learned from Gwen, he has a short temper, violent tendencies and unusual forms of enjoyment.

David sits down in the quiet room for another few minutes while the officer fills him in on what they found at the scene... nothing! Nothing but the children. No evidence that a man and a woman, who was being held prisoner had been there. It was also quite obvious to him that Arthur had done a good job at concealing Emma's presence from his children as they were completely oblivious to what was happening around them. It was preferred by their mother, but the children would have to be interviewed to see if they heard or saw anything from their father that would reveal where he was going or what he planned to do with Emma. For all they knew, he still wanted a baby from Emma and planned to keep her, maybe even force her to marry him and start a new family.

Once the officer is finished, David sighs. "Thank you Officer Doyle."

Once he hangs up, David puts his hands over his eyes and begins to cry. He's so angry and at the same time so sad. He wants to get Emma out of the man's clutches. She doesn't deserve this, she never did anything to this man, and yet he kept her chained to a bed and raped her. These things should only have to happen in movies, or in TV dramas, but sadly they happen all the time.

David continues to sob until he feels gentle arms wrap themselves around his neck and shoulders. He immediately recognizes her perfume and the soft sweater she's wearing. He hears her soft breathing and feels her gentle touch. David reaches over and pulls his wife into his arms and they both cry. Neither of them has to be strong at this moment, they just need to support each other. The desperation and seeming hopelessness of this entire situation have taken a toll on everyone who loves Emma. David and Mary Margret always watched out for Emma, treated her like a member of their family and now that she was missing, it's like huge holes have been punched into their chests. Their family no longer feels complete and it drives them all to tears. David rocks his pregnant wife back and forth, burying his face in her shoulder and she does likewise.

Out in the hallway, Henry is leaning over in a chair, facing the floor, covering his face with his hands. He too is crying. He wanted his mom back so badly. They had never been separated this long and after Neal had left, he relied on her more than ever. He missed her strong arms attempting to hug him each day, her sarcastic comments whenever he gave her attitude, her own fierce and tough attitude that kept him feeling safe and her strong determination to make a home after their little family connection had been severed.

Henry, at one point, feels a sympathetic hand on his back. He knows it's either Nova or Jack, trying to provide some comfort, he or she even rubs his back like his mom used to do when he was scared. Despite all the comfort and effort, people were giving him to make him feel less upset or traumatized, they couldn't replace his mother. He can't really explain it, but no one can replace the love he has for her.

...

Several hours later, most of the group gathers at the hospital in Killian's room, sharing warm beverages. David had been sent home by the others with the insistence that he needed a break from everything. He had texted all their friends to tell them about what had happened and that the slimy son of a bitch had slipped through their fingers again. No one really speaks, not even Anna, they all look glumly at one another or down at their drinks. Nothing felt the same without Emma. Killian was especially distressed when David, Mary Margret, and Henry came back with the news. He became so upset that he wanted to start disconnecting the IVs and monitors he was hooked up to and try to go find Emma again. It took a lot of Mary Margret's teaching skills to reason with Killian and have him settle down again and David had to convince Dr. Whale not to try and settle the docks man down with drugs.

The rest of the group came with hot chocolate, with cinnamon in it, or coffee and just sat there for a long time, mourning and hating how twisted and mangled their lives had become. It was all because of one man and his selfish desires.

Even Neal had come; he sat in the corner of the room in a lone chair, sipping coffee and staring at his nearly grown son. How much time had passed since he last saw him made him regret ever leaving in the first place. He wanted to go over and comfort his boy as he used to whenever Henry was sad or scared, but now... Henry was leaning on David and Mary Margret, Regina and Ruby and even Killian for some form of comfort. It made him want to put his fist through the wall for letting his own selfish desires compromise what he had with Henry and Emma. Sure, their lives weren't perfect, but both had been happy when he was around. If he was honest with himself, he thought he was the source of their misery. One could assume that he did become that source of misery when he left.

Neal takes in a deep breath. He knows he must do something more. It may not earn back his son's love or anyone else's trust, but he had to do more. Police work would not be enough; they needed more resources, more insider information, anything different.

Neal stands up and quietly exits the room, not that anyone noticed or cared. He goes to a quiet place in the hospital with good reception and scrolls down to a number he hadn't dialled in a long time.

It rings several times before the man he needs picks up.

"Neal?" the man says.

"August, I need your help."

Hey everyone, sorry if this chapter is so short. Please review and follow.