Chapter 33

Arthur wakes up the following morning on the couch to hear the TV on in the other room. He had the map laying on his chest, having fallen asleep over his planning. He grimaces as the sharp pain of his shoulder comes back to him... where his wife had stabbed him.

He decides to go check on the wound in the bathroom. He removes the bandages in front of the mirror, wincing as it's like peeling off a layer of skin. The wound looks no different from the day before, there is still some blood and a little bit of oozing. It also feels hot and sensitive to the touch. Gwen sure got him good. He cleans the wound again as best he can before applying a fresh bandage.

Arthur goes into the other room to see Megan and Ben sitting watching TV.

"Morning Daddy," Megan says, rushing over to hug her father.

"Morning Baby girl,"

"Why is all your hair gone?"

"I felt like it was time for a change,"

"I don't like it," Ben says firmly. "You look like Lex Luther."

"It's okay buddy, I'm not Lex Luther. I'm not a bad guy. Are you ready for an adventure."

"And the water park?" Ben asks eagerly.

"And the water park," Arthur nods. "But let's get ourselves cleaned up and have breakfast before we go."

Arthur has his kids shower and changes into clean clothes before they check out of the motel. They eat at the same diner as before and get some snacks for the road. Arthur also asks for information about water parks in the state. Once the kids are in the car and distracted, Arthur opens the trunk.

Emma lies in the trunk, still unconscious, bound and gagged like before. The ice pack he'd given her had long since become warm, so he tossed it into a nearby bush. Arthur checks her pulse and breathing. He hopes she doesn't wake up just yet, he must find a place for him and the kids to stay, a place where he can hide Emma.

Arthur then starts the car up, a large lump in his throat, so nervous about what will happen next. He checks the map of Connecticut and pulls out onto the main highway.

He turns the radio on and continues to think about what he's going to next. Sooner or later, someone was going to find Gwen and she would tell them everything. He knew he couldn't be on the road for too long, especially with the kids and Emma... She would likely wake up soon and make a racket. How would he explain this to his children, that he had kidnapped a woman to give them a sibling and that he beat their mother up to allow him to escape? Technically, the children were kidnapped as well and the police would ramp up their investigation to bring them home. He had to find a new city to live in, a new place which was far away from the prying eyes of the law and basically starts his life over again, with a new identity and everything.

How the hell did identity thieves or criminals manage this? He wonders. Keep their identities straight and become someone completely different.

Plus, identities for the kids... It all seems overwhelming. Who would've thought that going on the run would be so stressful and complicated? All those criminal heist movies were wrong, it will not be easy to become someone else and hide kidnapped victims.

...

A few hours later, Arthur sees a sign for an indoor water park and resort. Immediately, the kids become excited and begin squealing and shouting with delight. Arthur turns off one of the interstates and pulls into the resort parking lot. The kids are already out of their car seats by the time Arthur parks the vehicle, furthest away from the building.

Arthur grabs the bags from the trunk, checking on Emma, before following his children who are already waiting at the door for him.

"Welcome to William's Indoor Water Park and Resort, fun for the whole family," the receptionist at the blue coloured desk says with a smile. The entire place is decorated like it's supposed to be underwater, with starfish and fish taped to the walls, blue shimmering lights in the background and under the sea artwork. It looks like a fun place for the kids to go and there is a large aquarium that Megan and Ben stare at in wonder while Arthur checks them in.