Chapter 62

"W-What are you talking about?" Robin asks.

"What I mean is, there were calls from the courts that your wife has been abusing alcohol and neglecting your son."

"WHAT?!" Robin says. He's so exasperated that he can barely speak. Marian was not an alcoholic and she would never neglect Roland under any circumstances.

"We're talking with the courts about finding evidence to solidify this claim and your house is being searched and until then we need you to come and pick up your son."

Robin's eyes are so wide in confusion that he didn't hear the last part where the caller gives him the address. Regina is watching Robin this entire time, watching the colour drain from his face and his eyes glaze over. She wants to ask what's wrong, but she also doesn't want to interfere with the conversation. Once the phone slides from his hand, she feels it's safe to talk to him.

"What's wrong Robin?"

He doesn't respond, just sits there staring at the floor.

"Robin!" she says a little louder.

Again, he doesn't respond.

Finally, she reaches over and taps his cheek, trying to get him to look at her. His eyes no longer look enchanting or beautiful since they are full of panic and confusion.

"What happened?" she says slowly. "Who was on the phone?"

"Child Protective Services, they have Roland there because apparently, someone reported that Marian is an alcoholic and neglecting him."

"And is she?" Regina asks.

"No, and she's never been an alcoholic. She never touched a drop once Roland was born and even before that, she only drank once and a while, mostly during special occasions."

"So, what do they want to do?"

"They want me to come and pick him up... but Regina..."

She looks at him with her dark eyes filled with concern and dismay.

"What?"

"I...I can't take him to my apartment... Not with Will there. If that happens, he'll probably be kept in their 'orphanage' or something."

Her mind begins to race as she thinks of a possible solution.

"Bring him to my place," she says.

Robin looks at her. "W-What?"

"I have an empty apartment and he can stay there until we can get this mess sorted out."

"Are you sure..."

"Robin, let's worry about your son, not me. Let's go," she says, standing up, pulling on her coat, and grabbing her purse.

...

"Daddy!" an excited voice says as a five-year-old boy dressed in a snowsuit and hat runs out to where the two of them are standing.

Robin kneels down and embraces his son, hugging him tightly. Regina watches the exchange and her heart swells a little bit. The little boy is the spitting image of Robin with a round face and the same coloured hair. His cheeks were a little pudgier and when he looks up at Regina, she can see that he has dark brown eyes instead of blue, a trait likely passed down from his mother.

"Oh Roland, are you okay?"

"Yes Daddy, but where's Mommy?"

Robin swallows. "I-I don't know, but for now you're going to spend some time with me okay?"