Chapter 29

Arthur drives along the highway, completely focused on the road ahead of him. Megan and Ben are in the back either reading a book or playing a video game. They seem quite content with the exciting trip... trouble is, Arthur doesn't have a destination in mind.

Every time they hit a bump, he prays his children don't hear groaning or the loud thud of the body in the back. Arthur had to think things through, but his mind is so overwhelmed that he can't focus. Basically, he abducted a woman whom he plans to get pregnant and his children, who are oblivious to the reality of what their father has done, have been kidnapped. He knows once Gwen wakes up, the cops will be looking for him and his children, he had to get over the state border before that happened. He also needed to change his appearance so at least he wouldn't be recognized.

He pulls off another interstate and they are cruising along with trees covering them on both sides. The leaves are changing colour.

"Look at the colours guys," Arthur says, trying to distract himself and his children. "Look how nice they are."

"Pretty," Megan says. "Look at the orange!"

"Daddy?" Ben asks.

"Yeah, buddy?"

"Why isn't Mommy coming?"

"I told you already," Arthur says. "She has to work this weekend."

"Can we talk to her?" Ben asks.

"N-Not right now, my phone is buried in my bag in the back and she can't have her phone on during surgery remember?"

Ben nods.

"She'll call..." Arthur says. "Or I'll call her and you can say hi."

"But who will read me a story?" Ben asks. "Or sing my song?"

"I will," Arthur says as confidently as he can.

"But I want Mommy to," Ben says.

"We'll see what happens okay buddy?" Arthur says, trying to drop the subject.

"Okay," Ben says, going back to his video game.

They are quiet for a little while.

"Daddy?" this time his daughter is asking the questions.

"Yes, baby girl?"

"When will we get there?" she asks.

"That's the thing about road trips Meg, we don't really have a destination, at least not yet. We'll go to the water parks, but half the fun is enjoying the trip and seeing what we can see."

"What about school?"

"Don't worry about school, your teacher won't miss you for one day if we get back late, don't you fret."

Megan keeps looking out the window, watching cars go past.

"Daddy?"

"Yes?" Arthur says in a huffed breath, getting a little annoyed with the questions.

"Where are we going to sleep?"

"In a motel, or would you rather sleep in the car next to Ben and his slimy thumb?"

Megan's face twists with disgust at the thought of her brother's thumb.

"How about we listen to the radio?" Arthur suggests, trying to keep the kids quiet for a little while so he can think things through.

A news station buzzes to life on the dashboard.

"And yet another day of unsuccessful searching for missing Boston resident Emma Swan, who was abducted two weeks previously from a bar downtown..."