Chapter 68

The next hard part was telling everyone else about her pregnancy. Mary Margret and David took it especially hard. They loved Emma and knew that conceiving a baby like this is traumatizing and especially hard on the mother. There were many complications that could occur including diseases or health problems, especially if they did not know who the father was. This forced Emma to reassure them that everything was going to be fine and she wanted all the facts first before going any further.

Most of her friends suspected her pregnancy already, based on the shape of Emma's body, but the hospital robe made it hard to be sure. No one felt the need to congratulate her due to how the child was likely conceived.

Eventually, the nurse came to bring Emma for the ultrasound. She gave the patient a fresh pair of clothes to wear, which brought much relief to Miss Swan that she was likely going to be released from the hospital soon after and she could go home. They allowed Killian and Henry to come and they guided her down the hall towards the designated area. The rest of the group were asked to go to the waiting room where everyone could be supervised properly and David could talk to the other police officers.

Emma clung to Killian's hand tightly and he kissed the side of her head as they went to the sonogram section of the hospital.

Once they were in a dark room, Emma lifts her shirt and the sonographer applies the cool gel to her stomach. She then uses the wand to find the fetus in her abdomen. There is a faint image on the screen and everything is gray until there is a consistent sound of a heartbeat heard. Then the shape of an unborn baby appears on the screen. Emma's breath catches in her throat and she feels her eyes filling with new tears. The baby was fully formed and they could see the head, torso, legs, and arms. It appeared that the baby was sucking its thumb and floating contently inside her womb. The heartbeat thrummed in everyone's ears.

"Strong heartbeat, that's a good sign," the technician says. She begins taking notes on her clipboard.

Emma looks over at Killian and Henry. The docks man has tears on the edge of his eyes as if he'd never seen a more beautiful sight in his life. Henry watches with fascination and turns his head a few times to get the full image of the child.

"Looks to be about five, almost six months in development," the sonographer says.

Emma blinks and looks at the woman. "Sorry, what was that?"

"You're five, almost six months along in the pregnancy."

"But... I was only with him for about four..." A great feeling of relief fills her body as she looks at Killian. "That weekend we were together..."

Killian turns red and swallows. "I...I didn't use... protection the second night." He winces, expecting Emma to be mad at him. He's also embarrassed to be discussing this in front of her teenage son.

Emma reaches over and kisses Killian deeply. She's so happy that the baby isn't Arthur's, it's theirs. The thought was always in the back of her mind, but considering the sexual abuse and Arthur's entire intention to get her pregnant in the first place, she only assumed the latter.

Killian hugs her tightly and the two start laughing in unequivocal happiness. The baby was theirs! Arthur's plan had failed and Emma could now love this baby and not be worried about the stigma of the child being conceived by such violent and horrendous means. The baby would look like either her or Killian and she could go the rest of her life knowing that the baby was created through love, not hate. She and Killian were going to be parents and Henry a big brother. The thoughts overwhelm them both and give them the feeling of pure joy and euphoria that many parents feel when hearing the news for the first time.

"It's our baby!" Emma says, smiling the widest she's ever smiled.

"We'll have to do a full paternity test to make sure of that, but from what you were saying, it is very likely that this baby's parents are in this room right now," the technician says.

Emma hugs Henry tightly. "You're going to be a big brother!"

"Yeah..." the teen says, a little overcome with emotion. "I guess I am."

Emma looks back and puts her hand on the screen. The tiny life in there is a product of innocence and true love... she hopes.

Killian kisses the side of her head. He's happy that he's going to be a father and he realized something very important; that he was no longer alone anymore. He had a family, a loving girlfriend, a surrogate son, a child on the way and a strong connection with friends who support him and give him the love he's been lacking for a long time. Though they never could replace Liam or his loving mother, Killian had found the thing that he needs the most and he was forever grateful.

"Are either of you interested in knowing the sex of the baby?" the sonographer asks.

"You can tell that already?" the expectant mother asks.

"Usually it's at six months, but at this point, I can make a definite identification."

Emma looks at Killian and he shrugs.

"Whatever you want Love," he smiles.

Emma nods.

"Well, it's a beautiful and so far, very healthy baby girl,"

Both parents smile. Henry gives a sort of half-smile, secretly he was hoping for a brother, but a sister would be just as nice. As long as he didn't have to share his room.

The technician then pages a nurse in to take blood samples from both Emma and Killian. Once this is done, the woman gives the parents-to-be some printed images and allows them to go and show their friends.

Once in the hallway, Emma wraps her arms around Killian and kisses him once more.

"I'm still here for you Swan, whatever you decide, I support you."

"Thank you," she says. "We'll just take it one step at a time."

The three of them go to the waiting room, escorted by a few officers. Emma tells everyone the good news and shows the sonogram images. Mary Margret embraces her best friend in happiness and relief, Ruby squeals, happy to have a little girl to spoil and dress up in all sorts of cute outfits. All the other women gather around to see the pictures and ask what will they name the child. Regina congratulates the couple before she and Robin take Roland back home. Her heart is a little heavy, jealous once again that someone else was having a baby and not her, but when she sees little Roland sleeping on his father's shoulder... she thinks she could still be a mother... maybe.

After a few more tests, the doctor says that Emma can go home now since there didn't to be any further need for medical attention. He wishes the family good luck and leaves. Emma is so relieved and happy to be heading home; to close this awful chapter in her life and prepare for the next step with the man she loves and her son. While everyone else clears out of the hospital, David stays back to talk to the officers. A lump is forming in his throat. He doesn't want to ruin everyone's celebrations but...

The slimy bastard Arthur was missing once again.

It's official, it's a girl. Keep coming with the names. I feel like I should do a poll or something.

Thank you for your wonderful support. I have a bit more than I want to write before I end this story but it's not over yet. I will likely be making a sequel. Sorry if this chapter isn't as good as the others. Some guest wrote a pretty harsh review calling my story "a hot mess," that I only kept writing because of the comments and that I should always plan my story out better. This kind of shook my confidence a bit, but I mostly started this story for fun so who cares what he or she said. I appreciate the continued comments from everyone and just imagine that I gave you an air hug right now. Stay tuned for more.