Chapter 61

"When is this bloody storm going to let up?" Killian groans, staring out the window of the motel that the four of them are staying in.

Anna sits on the bed, her ankle wrapped up and on top of some pillows. She's channel surfing while Neal and August pour over a map of the national park.

"The weather person said it's going to snow a lot for the next few days," Anna answers.

Killian sits at the edge of the bed. He leans down and stares at the floor in frustration.

"Which is going to put a damper on our search efforts," August says, still staring at the map. "Killian, where did you say you saw that abandoned cabin?"

"I don't bloody know, it was dark and it was snowing. Why are you bothering, it's empty anyway?"

"Because there are two areas of cabins in the park," August explains. "The old and the new."

"Didn't Emma say that she was living in a crappy cabin?" Anna asks, remembering the phone call.

"She did," Killian says. He practically remembered the entire conversation as it was the first exchange any of them had had with Emma in months.

"Well, I asked a park ranger and he said the new cabins are furnished and well kept, while the others are falling apart and completely abandoned..."

"So, if Emma is in one of them, it's likely one of the older ones," Neal finishes.

"Exactly," August says as he traces the map with a pencil. Killian goes over and looks at the marks that the PI has made over the two men's shoulders.

"If I was on the run, I'd pick an abandoned cabin too," Anna says, taking a sip of her water.

"We found you guys here," August mutters, pointing to the line that represents the road. "And if you walked in a straight line," he traces the page. "You likely ended up here..." He circles a small square.

"How many old cabins are there?" Anna asks.

"The ranger couldn't say but he estimates that there might be four or five that could be considered "livable." The rest are hollowed shells, much like the one you found Kil."

Killian took a step back at the weird nickname, only Liam had ever called him that, had they been spending so much time together that August felt that it was okay to use nicknames?

Suddenly, Neal stands up.

"I need to go smoke," he says, before going toward the tiny balcony that the motel had. He puts his coat on and grabs a pack from his pocket. He steps out into the cold and snowy air, not noticing that Killian had followed him. Neal lights up and exhales smoke, the wind catching and blowing the white cloud into the night air. He leans over the rail, letting the bitter cold nip at his face and the snow practically blind him. Killian is watching before stepping out into the cold as well.

"Jesus! You scared me," Emma's ex-boyfriend says, noticing the figure who followed him.

"I didn't mean to Mate," the docks man answers. He comes and joins Neal at the rail. The two stand, not saying a word, the howling wind filling the silence.

"Want one?" Neal asks, offering one.

Killian feels the need for one but holds his hand up to pass. "I don't want to open that complex issue again."

"Yeah, I've tried to quit before too, but it's my inner demon so to speak. Tamara tried to force me to quit, but I smoked at work and in the alleyway behind our apartment."

Killian just nods and shivers in the cold.

"So, what happened the other day?" Neal asks.

"What do you mean?"