Part 36 - December Wishes

~Christmas Eve~

Awaking to the sound of thin air gently swaying the boney trees, you stretched and looked around realising it was about mid afternoon. After a late night of overthinking you hadn't slept much, thus allowed yourself to wake up at 2:30pm~

Pulling on a hoodie to protect yourself from the cold, you ventured into the hallway, lacking any heating making it harshly cold. You saw Josh and smiled, spoke briefly and went downstairs seeing your dad sitting on the sofa, calmer than usual. 

Y/n: "You alright dad?" you went to the fridge, but an open plan house meant he could easily hear you.

Dad: "Finally up?" he laughed and returned to his newspaper, invested in a new edition of this weeks rubbish.

Y/n: "Ha ha" you plopped beside him, seeing a very broad, bright christmas tree in front of you. 

"Its not even decorated!?" you soon realised, running over and inspecting it, upset. 

Dad: "Well i thought we could uphold our tradition" just then he pulled out a box. An old box from the attic containing all the classic decorations you spilled over the tree each year. He joined you and you spent the rest of the afternoon laughing and decorating, a nice sense of family which you'd forgotten about in this love mess. 

-6:14pm-

The door opened and closed, your mum was back early for once, clearly eager to cook dinner and enjoy Christmas. She worked hard, and was cold-hearted at times, but cherished nothing more than family~

She came beside you dad and admired the tree, smiling at you and Joshua who sat on the rug playing cards. Such as typical 'happy family' moment which normally made you cringe, but now was perfect. And after a lovely Christmas meal, you decided to have a swim, your mum wanted you out so she could wrap presents so you returned to home, the pool. 

— — — 

Head submerged.

Oxygen decreasing,

mind thinking,

heart beating. 

You floated weightlessly, your body motionless as you indulged in the slow water. Literally no one was around, alone in a pool of tranquility and left to swim in a full mind and heart. It wasn't until the cleaner came in, signalling that you had to leave did you come back to the surface and reality. 

You came out and as you were drying you felt someone join you by the poolside. 

Y/n: "Oh! Hi? I didn't expect to see you were, especially on Christmas eve" greeting the friendly somewhat stranger you smiled unknowingly into the deep blue water and let the tension settle.

Mark: "I come here sometimes, didn't expect to see you either" he laughed and leaned over, he hadn't gone in yet and was completely dry. 

You sat mindlessly chatting for a while until you remembered what your mum had said.

You'd promised a date, and it couldn't be your actual one,