Part 42 - Broken Glass

-11:57pm-

One lonely, chilling walk home later you arrived. Nose flushed red from the cold, eyes stained red from tears.

As soon as you came within meters of the door your mum came out, shouting slurs and her concerns. It being late, she was worried, you embarrassed her, you caused a fuss, you were being problematic, but as soon as she saw how blood-shot your eyes were, how lifeless your body language was and the lack of a smile which always creeped up through dark clouds, you simply stepped aside, looking in sadness as you drifted up the stairs silently. Floating ghostly to your room you arrived, sitting down on your bed, dazed and shocked.

You didn't think he'd actually leave.

But he did.

And that was that.

You didn't want to be sad though. You felt as though you were mourning a death, yet the feelings were very much alive and fresh. Hot blood pumping through your veins every time you inhaled sharply, holding back painful tears. Why did love have to be like this? You were positive neither of you wanted this, or at least you tried to persuade yourself that was the case.

What seemed lie hours rolled by, as you sat staring with no sense of direction guiding your lost soul. Shattered soul too. Out of a no where, a soft hum escaped your phone. You opened it weakly, the blue light exploding over your equally weak face. A simple text, only one line.

I always told you he'd pick me over you.

it shouldn't of upset you that much but it did.

A sudden rage inflicted your mind as you spiralled out of control. You screamed and cried loud shouts, being completely selfish. You didn't even have a single moment of regard for others, instead focusing on your own life, which honestly seemed to be collapsing uncontrollably right in front of you.

Out of no where you just stayed throwing things. Pillows torn apart and thrown across the room, bedding flying, the clock now on the other side of your bedroom. You flung open your wardrobe and started pulling at clothes, grabbing violently and ripping aggressively. Turned inside out, heart beating heavily and lungs gasping for air you arrived at your drawer pulling it open and only pausing when you reached it.

The wooden box.

There it sat, so innocently and quietly, seeming as though it had no part in this mess yet was the very root of this problem. What was meant to be a symbol of love manipulated into a reminder of hatred.

Slowly turning the door, you opened it. Revealing it. You slowly grabbed the watch, afraid of the simple metal. You caressed the chain in your shaky hands, letting out your panting breath onto the clockface. Swinging tauntingly, the sound of striking filled the room. What was usually a soft sound became louder and louder. The hand of the watch turning, louder with every second that passed. It became louder and louder and more aggravating and frustrating with every strike. The sound pierced and swallowed your ears, sending you into a state of craziness. The sound became so painful you could only hear it, eyes ringing and a harsh beating against your ear making you grab your head desperate for silence. But it would stop. It would go and you felt yourself becoming more crazy by the second. You lost control as you threw it at the wall, desperate for silence..

-SMASH-

shattered into pieces it collapsed weakly, glass hitting the wooden floor. Your panting steadied as you looked at the mess you've created. A foggy vision filled your eyes as your arms fell to your side, defeated. The clock didn't chime anymore. No sound filled what seemed to be a shrinking room. Broken glass swallowed the ground and set a layer of reflection. Creeping over you glanced down sheepishly, a shattered mirror reflecting the image of you, who stared with swollen eyes and a quivering lip. Smudged makeup and crazy hair, you looked insane. You didn't doubt that you were.

What had you become?

A monster that destroyed a beautiful gift. A distraught creature controlled by self doubt and fear. An unstable manic who had lost the thing she loved most...and the the thing to remember him by with it.

The door handle clicked open as you looked over emotionless. Shame, horror, fear is what would've shown on your face, but instead nothing. He looked at you horrified, eyes darting around the room quickly and meeting yours again.

"What happened..?"

-he walked slowly over to your side, afraid to get too close but eager to help. Though it is cliche,

you couldn't help but fall to the floor for the 100th time, held by the same pair of arms who held you on the bridge. 

It's funny how you missed the key detail. You would've kicked yourself if you had just turned over the watch, but looked more carefully at the writing ingrained. Writing ingrained in letters of gold into your heart. Maybe if you'd have looked this next period would've been shorter,

but instead you stopped looking and trying. And entered the most brutal phase of your life.