Part 47 - Final Battle

"Last event: Swimming"

You were in the changing rooms, getting your suit on. Tightening your goggles and adjusting your cap, your heart pulsated aggressively. You heard the whistle followed by an explosion of diving, water being distributed across the poolside and crashing down back as though a tsunami had hit. Boys were up first, giving you time to sit back against the cold, metal benches hidden away. Some girls from your year gathered the in the corner, all having their house colour stripes down the side of their slick black swimsuit.

Joy: "I'm so nervous! I'm going do so bad~"

Yeri: "it's fine, like I'll do any better!"

Irene: "you know we're against Y/n Hong, there's no way I'll beat her"

Joy: "but we're also against Momo, those two will battle it out for first place"

A House captain then came in, warning you all that your race was soon. You pushed out any distracting thoughts and focused on your technique. Frontstroke, backstroke, butterfly then back to front. You needed these points and the key to achieving them was variation and winning. All you needed to do was-

Jisoo: "hate to interrupt ladies but there's been a last minute addition to your races!" She glanced, all eyes on her which she enjoyed. She clocked you and smirked, holding a box.

Y/n: "what kind of addition?" You folded your arms and questioned her superiority.

Jisoo: "you're all in the last year, meaning you're the most advanced swimmers. Why not add a little challenge?" She then started hanging out the items, balls?

Nayeon: "what do we do with these...?"

Jisoo: "attach them to your ankle, they act as an extra challenge just to make it more interesting" she paused when she got to you, rustling around her little box. She rummaged through until going into a separate plastic bag, pulling out not what you thought were balls, but weights.

Y/n: "thanks." She passed one to you, smiling extra wide with a mischievous grin, you inspected the weight. You looked closer, trying to find a clue but the klaxon sounded, signalling you were next. You looked at the other girls, thrown by the weight but you decided not to let it affect you. With or without it, you'd win.

— — —
"Can the final, 200m girls race take their marks"

You made your way over, looking only at your lane. Your house colour marked it at you positioned yourself on the spring board.

"Just wait a minute, we must check something"

Typical technical difficulties. Your hands were positioned before you, legs shaking slightly and your eyes glued to the end of the pool. Just four lengths; that's child's play to you. Looking down you remembered the weight, a tag suffocating your ankle. You continued to look until you saw a number marked on it.

•10kg•

...

5kg?!

That would be almost impossible and to carry on your ankle?! You lifted your ankle slightly and felt the heavy burden it had on you. It was starting to become difficult to hold up your ankle, let alone swim with it. You glanced besides you at Momo who also had a tag on her. Yet hers simple wrote: