Chapter 10- The First Hint

Readers POV

"Haku don't forget to give the spirits their wages" I call from my position beside the fire in his office. Haku sits at his desk, tapping his fingers gently on mahogany trying to contemplate the possibilities of our current loss in staff. "Where are they gone Y/N?" He sighed exasperated, leaning back in his chair. "We have lost seven spirits in the last week and a half. None handed in their contract. None gave any indication they were leaving. They just... vanished" the thump of his elbows on the desk makes me cringe ever so lightly. "I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it Haku" I stand walking over to him. His slumped form in his chair strikes something deep within me. "Don't worry about it alright?" I offer gently. He sighs in response. I lightly begin to massage his shoulders, getting a low vibration sound from his chest. "They have to be paid love. Want me to do it?" He turns down the offer with a simple shake of his head from its place on the desk. "I better go. Get it over a done with" he stands, turning on his heel to give me a quick peck on the lips before grabbing bags of gold for the different house departments. He shuffles out the door murmuring a muffled goodbye.

I stay in the office. Organizing his abomination of a desk. Papers and books lie strewn across red tainted wood. Thanks to my organization skills you could see the wood again. A small knock taps against the door. "Come in" I call from my place in his leather chair and with a small huff the door pushes open. Kiseki stands on one side clasping the golden knob. "Are you alone Y/N?" She whispers quietly. Confusion wells up within me and I feel my brows knot together. "Yes dear what's wrong?" She closes the door as I stand from the desk and come to sit on the sofa that sets in front of the hearth. She gingerly sits beside me. "I forgot to tell you something." She whispers guiltily, questions work their way up my throat but I force them down. "What is it honey?" I say softly turning to face her small form. The horns on her head gleam in the flames light. Giving her an unearthly glow. "A woman sent me here Y/N. She told me lots of things. She said she rescued me when I nearly died" she nods to herself as if remembering a poem she was told to recite. "She said, 'You don't have to know my name' or something like that." She swings her legs over the side of the sofa in a nonchalant manner. "What did she look like?" I question. Kiseki hums sweetly. "She has two looks" She tips her head back recalling the strange woman. "One moment she was a flying glowing circle. And the next moment she was a lady all in black with white eyes and a ragged dress." The air hitches in my throat as I stare at Kiseki.

She just described the ghost that followed me around the bath house for months.

"Carry on" I rasp, sitting back in the cushioning with wide eyes. "Well she said she saved me from here actually. She said my mother got kicked in the tummy really hard when she was pre... pregna.... prignent... something like that. With me." She struggled to say pregnant but right now I could barely breathe. She took my silence as a cue to keep going. Although I didn't know how much more I could take. "She said my Mama, was ruling the Aburaya. This bath house. And that my Papa was ruling it with her. Their names were Y/N and Haku" her eye were glassy when she looked up at me. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. "The woman told me I had to give my Mama, Y/N, this two months after I arrived. I counted Y/N it's been two months" she fishes out a pendant from her kimono. On the end of the black string is a silver key adorned in sapphires. I clasp the necklace around my neck that still allowed me to shift into a dragon. It was... burning.

"The woman says that the pendant or the Aita is what she called it. Has to be given to my Mama. She told me how to get here but she said I had to do it alone. I got hurt so m-many times Y/N! I couldn't find you anywhere!!" Her wails erupted after a shaky confession and I stayed frozen staring at her in shock. My hand moved away from the burning charm against my skin while the other clasped the Aita. "Oh Kiseki love..." I reach for her shaking frame but she crushes herself into my body. Tears begin to spill from my own eyes. "Mama I'm so sorry I didn't tell you earlier! I was too s-scared!" Her cries ring off the wall and my quiet sobs sing inside me. I hold on to her, my Kiseki, my daughter. My little miracle.

Hakus' familiar steps come to a hault when he opens the door to see me and Kiseki curled on the couch in tears. She doesn't turn to look at Haku. Instead hiding her face in my kimono. "What's going on?" He asks worriedly shutting the door. His raven black hair tied back into a bun and his kimono slightly loose. He  hurriedly makes his way to my side where Kiseki is perched, cradled to my chest. I hold out the Aita for him to see. Immediately his eyes go icy and he grabs the key out of my hand.

A new range of emotions come hurtling in as he shoves the key into his drawer. Stashing it away beneath papers. "Don't ever touch that again Y/N" he says with vehemence and no further explanation, slamming the drawer shut causing Kiseki to jolt in my grasp. Haku returns to my side with a worried gaze. "Now tell me what's wrong." He says slowly. Holding my free hand. I feel a new round of salty tears come to my eyes.

"Kiseki is our daughter"

A/N
Welp I finally said it. I was contemplating when I should drop this minor surprise bomb and decided. Why not now?

Anywhom. My apologies for not being as active as I was on the first book. My exams are coming up and study Is such a pain.

Please comment and vote!

Cookies and cream,

-AA