Chapter 21- The Marsh

Gently, ocean eyes flickered open to peer at me. Dark wisps of hair curtained his gaze ever so slightly. Like a small child, he brought a fist to his eye and gently rubbed it, willing himself to wake up.

"Have we arrived, Y/N?" he outstretched his arms above your back, biceps flexing in the dusk sunlight. Unfurling his legs, he looked out across the mirrored surface of the ocean, as it began to turn into a murky green colour. "Well, we most certainly have..."

I purred, bringing my tail around to point at Kiseki. Haku got the memo, and stirred the young child awake. I turned my gaze back to the railroad, focusing on the gentle sway of the carriage we were perched upon. A heavy mist, was surrounding us, making me breath ever so slightly heavier. The dark blue sky above us was a shield, and yet hid way too many dangers.

Slowly, the train began to chug to a slow stop, it's wheels singing a slow melody with a staccato of metal clinking. Bowing my head, I watched as the train stop approached. A single lantern proclaiming what it was and one bench. A dirty road was leading deep into the forest.

The machine beneath me slowed to a complete stop, and out of thin air No Face appeared before the trio. He gave a silent nod as he watched us descend from the trains roof. I hopped down first, grabbing Kiseki in my jaws and gently placing her on my back. Haku readjusted some straps before hopping on, and ever so silently without a word being spoken, we began to move through the marsh.

We were like shadows, silent and unnoticeable. The sisters must of sensed our comings, Zeniba having sent her loyal friend and worker. No Face was an odd spirit, Haku and I had come to the conclusion that when he was alive he was a dangerous human- one of greed and horrible horrible doings. Hence the quiet nature. His stalking habits too- it didn't disturb us though, he was merely a helper now to the sisters.

A thought struck me, I haven't seen Yubaba in over two years. This would be an odd encounter, let alone between her and Haku. How she had treated him- a shiver ran through my body. It still angered me, the image of the very first time I found Haku, broken and beaten into a corner. Anger boiled through me, yet i tamed it. Now wasn't the time to fight, not when we needed their help.

The lanterns become clustered and No Face hung his upon a stand. Gently he opened the front door to the bungalow, and stepped aside to allow us entry. Haku slid off, bringing Kiseki in his arms. I looked to No Face, our gazes licking. He broke his stare, watching as Haku returned to unlatch bags necessary for Kisekis stay. Once he had those separated, he handed them to No Face whom obediently brought them inside. Haku lifted the rest of the baggage from my back, allowing me to change back. My knees were weak from all the travel, and Haku only smiled as I shifted. The moment I was human again, he hooked an arm around my waist, taking my weight. "You did magnificently my dear, you astound me everyday" He presses a gentle kiss to my temple as he led the way in, the door closing silently behind us.

"My children! It has been too long-" Before I had a moment to register what was happening, Haku and I were gathered into chunky arms and squeezed. Zeniba smelled of cocoa beans and fresh salt. It was an odd mix, but oddly comforting. She smiled at us, now holding us at arms length. She tapped her nose with one long nailed finger, an indication that she already knew why we were here. "I was beginning to worry that my two favourite spirits hadn't come to visit me." She spun on a heel and pulled out two seats at the table. It seemed like only yesterday we had been here, seeking sanctuary from an army of shadows.

The familiar scent of a herbal green tea filled the room. Kiseki was squatting on a rug with a pinkish toad, as it lay in its back enjoying the belly rubs it was receiving. Her giggles sang throughout the house, and that's when a thought arose.

"Where is Yubaba and Baby?" I asked in almost a hushed rush. Zeniba chuckled. "My sister ran when she heard you were coming, she is ashamed of her actions you know." She set the cups in front of the us, sitting across from us she began to stir her own concoction. "She promises to apologise to you, to both of you." She folded her arms across the maple wood table.

"Enough of that talk though, are you both prepared for this endeavour?" She stirred her tea with a single chopstick, setting it down and began to sip quietly.

Haku shrugged. "It's hard to prepare for something like this, I feel as though we are going to meet a wolf in sheep's clothing." Zeniba chuckled, her eyes crinkling with the statement. "How right you are. I heard word that you met your sister, Aku?"

I stiffened are the name. His hand came to rest on my thigh, a gentle squeeze of reassurance. "Indeed... we had quite the encounter" Zeniba visibly was struggling to contain her laughter. "The dragon and wolf clashed I heard, you gave her a run for her tail Y/N, hm?" A small smile came to my lips, the corners curling in a smirk. "Damn right I did." I had not one hint of remorse for doing it. Not an ounce,  it seemed like that girl, Aku, wanted another chance to do what I had done to her. I'd be waiting.

But there were much more important matters to attend to.

"You must know, spirits have truly died because of this.''

a/n

I have been gone for so long!

Sorry this was such a simple chapter- I wanted to get one out!

cookies and cream,

-AA