Chapter 24- What is the Meaning

''What do you mean?''

Haku and I were now concerned. ''We have protected the Aburaya, Zeniba. There has been barely any missing cases bar those few that left in the beginning.'' She shook her head, almost disappointed in how trusting we were in our security precautions.

''You have left your home, children. It is an open playground for this evil now.'' We shared a terrified look, knocking over chairs ready to run back to the house. Zeniba waved her hands. ''Sit down! You will find your missing employees. There is a puzzle to solve first.'' She sighed, waiting for us both to be seated once again.

''Now, the Aita please.'' She held out one long, aged hand waiting for it to be placed in her palm. Haku exhaled, before reaching into a satchel and producing the bejeweled key. Zeniba twirled it around her grip, her eyes narrowing. ''How did you get this?'' She looked between us, waiting for the answer. I glanced down at Kiseki, still petting that pink toad. ''She arrived at the bath house with it around her neck. She was terrified to give it to me, but we believe Akujo was behind her return.'' Zeniba nodded, now looking back at the key. ''A wise assumption, most likely true.'' She set the key down on the table, raising a hand above it. Slowly the key began to rise up and stand on its tip, as if tied to the rafters by a string. ''Exactly what I thought.'' She dropped the key from her invisible grip and met our gazes. ''Haku, you and I both know how protective your sister is of her possessions.'' She tilted her head in a knowing way, to which Haku merely grunted in return. ''I have reason to believe that Aku was guarding this Aita, for centuries.'' She sighed, leaning back in the rickety chair. ''It is bewildering why exactly it was handed to you so easily. Especially how she had wrote that clue for the Oxyn Oak.'' We sat in silence for a moment, trying to think of reasons as to why Aku would lead us on this wild goose chase. ''It is very possible she didn't write the riddle or send the Aita.'' I looked between the pair, both nodding. ''True,'' Haku hummed. ''But my sister is very, very greedy. She wouldn't let something like that go.'' He looked at the Aita to Zeniba. ''Right?"

The witch nodded in confirmation. ''Correct. This Aita is specifically used to open a charm called a Rokku. A Rokku generally protects an extreme energy source, containing it and perhaps sealing it.'' She shrugged, now inspecting the key again. ''Something so important would not slip from Aku's grip willingly.'' Haku nodded his head in agreement. ''But then we are back at the beginning, how the hell did we get it?''

Zeniba wags a finger, an idea coming to mind. ''Let's go by the presumption that Akujo sent Kiseki to you. Stole her in the heat of the conflict.'' That was very plausible, that day in the Bath House was so confusing and frightening, so full of blood. It was easy to loose track of which pain was what. Even though, that was a significant amount of pain to endure. Zeniba continues, ''The main player on this chess board is Akujo. She is a powerful spirit! That female stalked Y/N for months on end, observing her. This is not as simple as we would hope.'' Haku frowned, now very deep in thought. ''You're right-'' He sighed, now holding his head in his hand. ''I let the House slip. I wasn't paying attention to the small details, to my workers. I was to busy with Yubaba-'' I grabbed his hand and squeezed gently. ''Never.'' I hummed, looking at Zeniba for some support. She only nodded before continuing. ''It's also a possibility that Aku framed Akujo to send that Aita, there is really a fifty-fifty chance.'' She's sighed. ''There is an evil in this land that needs to be quenched, and quickly. Did you not notice the growing sickness in the countryside? The marsh? The water?'' Suddenly Zeniba was looking frantically between the pair of you. We had slept the entire way- The only time I had awoken was when Shin'yu had arrived. I stood, leaving the table and going to the back door of Zenibas cottage. I stood in the threshold, staring out beyond her fence.

She was right.

The land beyond her fence was indeed rotting, bark was peeling from trees and grass was withering away. Flowers wilted and animals were nowhere to be seen. The world seemed to be dying, and I hadn't noticed it in the slightest. Arms slipped around my waist as a head was rested on mine. "Darling, we will fix this. Alright?" I nodded, swiping at the tears welling in my eyes. This was unfair, it was such a catastrophe that this was happening. Haku gripped my sides, gently turning me around and holding me to him. A soothing hand rubbed up and down my back, "We will take care of this, together. Until the end, right?" He held my chin, tilting my face to his.
"Right." I whispered, leaning up and kissing him. He returned it, before grabbing my hand and backing out of the doorway. He broke the kiss, now looking above my head. "Y/N, go inside."
"What? Why?" I was about to turn before he pushed me inside.
"Zeniba- Aku is here."
Within a flash, Zeniba flew out the door, every opening in the cottage flew shut in her absence.  Haku tightened his grip on my hand as he bent down and picked up Kiseki from the ground. "You two stay in the room, No Face will watch you."
"Haku you know that's not negotiable-"
"Y/N, you got hurt last time. Please let me talk to Aku-"
"You just said we are in this together Haku-"
"We are! But right now, I don't want my family in danger. Not when I can prevent it. Please..."
"..." I had two decisions to make. I stay in here, watch Kiseki and provide extra protection, or, I go and perhaps prevent the entire situation- and possibly make it rise to a higher level than it needs to be....

"Go." I nod and squeeze his hand, letting him leave and rush out the room. I watched him leap over the fence, bound into the sky with a trail of green and white before plummeting down onto a wolf and witch.

"Alright Kiseki, into bed."

A/N

I need to get more consistent with these updates, I hope that you are all safe during this quarantine. Take care of yourselves and those around you <3

cookies and cream,

-AA

(edited)